HP 4530s Windows 8 Sleep & Hibernation Problems (393 Views)
Occasional Advisor
septentriones
Message 1 of 3 (393 Views)

HP 4530s Windows 8 Sleep & Hibernation Problems

I recently upgraded the hardware in my notebook and took the opportunity to do a clean install of Windows 8. While security center and some other features are not available that doesn't bother me. It boots quickly and works well. The only issue I have encountered is that if the display is set to turn off, if the laptop sleeps, or if it hibernates there is no way to wakeup or resume (the screen remains black). I have to force shutdown holding the power button and then reboot. I checked the hardware to see if I could set the keyboard or mouse or power button to wake the computer but the options are not present in the hardware manager (no power tab) and the devices read that they do not support wakeup under power information (though they did work in Windows 7). For now I have disabled both sleep and hibernation but I would like to fix this issue if anyone has suggestions. It's a pain to not be able to sleep.

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Cmp_Cmndo
Message 2 of 3 (356 Views)

Re: HP 4530s Windows 8 Sleep & Hibernation Problems

Mine used to work, but one of the updates changed everything.

This will repair it.  Disable Hibernation:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Advanced Options:  USB Suspend Setting--Set to Disable.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ProBook 4530s-XU015UT#ABA, Intel Core i3-2310M, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, WDC WD3200BEKT-60PVMT0 (7200rpm), Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
septentriones
Message 3 of 3 (352 Views)

Re: HP 4530s Windows 8 Sleep & Hibernation Problems

Thank you but I should have mentioned that I did not just turn off hibernation, I did already disabled it entirely through the command line as you suggested. Despite this I still get slow and/or incomplete shutdowns (where the os is shutdown but the machine does not power off). I have no issues with the versions of Linux I've tried however and of course when I had windows 7 from the original install everything was fine. Perhaps the hbyrid sleep feature is still causing issues even though I have set the laptop to never sleep? What update was it that broke things for you? Was it a windows update or an update to one of HP's drivers?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation