HP 2530p wireless connect problem (1505 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 1 of 13 (1,505 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 2530p wireless connect problem

Hi, I am use the HP 2530p. I am facing a wireless connection problem with this laptop. It will disconnect and re-connect every few minutes of usage. Its getting very frustrate when using the internet. All of the sudden the wireless will disconnect itself. It happen very frequent especially when using battery powered. I turn off all the power saving option for the wireless as I suspect that it might be due to that. I also update the driver for this Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN. However it does not help at all. The driver version is 12.2.0.11.

Can anyone advise me what else I can do to solve this intermitten diconnect issue?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
banhien
Message 2 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Re: HP 2530p wireless connect problem

Hi,

Have you tried to turn off Wireless Zero Configuration in services ?

Or you can try this:

Control Panel (Classic View)-> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Intel Pro/Wireless (Properties)

In your Intel PROset/wireless connection mngr, you have a "roaming aggressiveness " option. this tells the wifi to automatically search for new signals when signal quality degrades below a user defined threshold. goto the advanced tab, click adapter settings, goto advanced tab and look 4 "roaming agressiveness" slider, adjust to never.

Regards,
BH
BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 3 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Thanks for the advice, I will try on that. Another thing I notice is the 'Speed' when I mouse over the wireless icon in taskbar. It doesnt stay at the same speed. At one moment its at 11mbps, the next moment it drops to 1mbps. I have another IBM laptop which stay at a constant speed.

Any idea what is wrong with it?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 4 of 13 (1,505 Views)

I am not using the IntelPRO application for the wifi. So I need the wireless zero configuration to connect to wifi.

I found the roaming setting and set to the lowest. Now the intermittent disconnect has reduce but I am still facing this weird issue of speed drop.

Any other solution to this dropping of speed? I did not move around with the laptop. Its in a stationary position and the signal strength always remain at excellent. The speed just decrease and increase.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 5 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Try resetting the BIOS to factory default values.

Dennis...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 6 of 13 (1,505 Views)

tried to reset the bios and it does not solve the problem.

I am still getting disconnect every few minutes. Any help?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 7 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Sean...

Has this been doing this since you received the notebook, or did it just begin? If the latter, ask yourself what has changed around you as well as what you might have added to the notebook.

Are you in a relatively noise-free environment, RF-wise? Are there other networks or did anyone add a wireless telephone system in the 2.4GHz band lately?

Why is your best speed limited to 11Mbps? Do you have a very old router? Hardly anyone uses 802.11b routers any longer, especially with a new notebook capable of "n" speeds. At the very least, your best speeds should be equal to or greater than 54Mbps.

What kind of wireless security configuration are you using?

Do you have any yellow markings in Device Manager for *any* device?

It must be very frustrating to have this problem.

Dennis...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stephen Beatty
Message 8 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Hi there,

We are about to roll out the small factors to our users replacing Dells.

During our testing we have experienced network failures on these laptops. After many hours of trouble shooting and replacing the hardware we discovered the golden pot of cash at the end of the rainbow!....

The network card on the board has a design floor in the first test units we received. The card is loose in it's slot and any small amount of movement dislodges the connection for the wireless card which in turn wipes out all network connectivity for the laptop.

Upon highlighting this to our HP contacts the next batch of units turned up with a spot of sticky tape on the card...yep you heard me sticky tape! Needless to say this doesn't do the job and these units suffer from the same issue.

So I would recommend you get yor screw driver out and check the network card is seated ok and not loose inside....

We are now faced with a nasty business decision to not roll out these units until this design floor is recitified, a fairly large issue I would think for HP!...

Would be interested to hear or anyone elses feedback on this model

Thanks
steve
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 9 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Hi Dennis,
I suppose this happen since I started to use the wireless. Usually in the office I will be using cable. Its only recently that I bring this notebook home then realise this problem.

The enviroment I am in is not very noisy. I am using a 'b' router. Tried using it with 'n' router before and the problem is still there.

Tried security setting with WEP, WPA2 and even no security setting also doesnt solve the problem.

No yellow marking in my device manager. Indeed is frustrating. Just typing this reply, I can see the connection being connected and disconnected for 4-5 times.

Hi Steve,
I open up and there is a sticker taping 2 wire to a card. Not very sure how does the network card look like. I will try to attach a photo and let you compare if its the same as yours.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DDBrunnenmeyer
Message 10 of 13 (1,505 Views)

Sean...

See the attached document regarding the WLAN module. This was extracted from the 2530p Maintenance & Service Guide.

Dennis...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 11 of 13 (1,206 Views)

Hi Dennis, thanks for the help. I compare mine with your attached picture, it seems that mine dont have the card as shown in your picture.

I tried to do a BIOS update and the problem is solved.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Daniel Taggart
Message 12 of 13 (1,206 Views)

I'm on a 2530p, with the same wireless card. I'm having the EXACT same problem, even after following all the steps described above.

I'm at my wits end and about to call HP to have the wireless card replaced... is there anything else that can be done?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Sean Tan
Message 13 of 13 (1,206 Views)

have you tried to update the BIOS to the latest version from the HP support site?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation