Fingerprint reader login to Windows 7 (11781 Views)
Occasional Collector
Ryan8720
Message 1 of 6 (11,781 Views)

Fingerprint reader login to Windows 7

Hello,

I have an HP EliteBook 8560w and I can't figure out how to log in to Windows using the fingerprint reader.  I previously had an EliteBook 6930p and I could go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage your fingerprint data.  However this link is missing on the new laptop.

I installed the Validity driver from HP and it shows up under Biometric Devices in the Device Manger.  However there is no Biometric Devices icon directly in the control panel as there was on the EliteBook 6930p using AuthenTec.

I have also gone to Group Policy Editor and enabled Computer Confguration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Biometrics / Allow domain users to logon on using biometrics, Allow the use of biometrics, and Allow users to log on using biometrics.

After all this, the Manage your fingerprint data still doesn't show under User Accounts, and I cannot swipe my finger to log on to Windows.

I've also installed HP ProtectTools Security Manager.  It lets me set up using the fingerprint reader for web site logins and such, but I don't care about that. I want to use it to log into Windows.

Please help!

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Franco  Cenati
Message 2 of 6 (11,753 Views)

Re: Fingerprint reader login to Windows 7

Hello

if you want to login into Windows using the FPR (Finger Print Reader), on top of HP Security Manager you have to install also Credential Manager.

Credential Manager cab be configured to enable Windows logon using either the FPR or the password.

It's not difficult to configure it.

bye

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
Ryan8720
Message 3 of 6 (11,749 Views)

Thanks Franco.  Do you know which one I should download?  That software is not listed on the EliteBook 8560w page.  When I search for it, I can only find Vista and XP versions and none of them have any EliteBook listed.  I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Franco  Cenati
Message 4 of 6 (11,738 Views)

Hello

it may be that Credential Manager is icnluded into Security Manager.

Take a look at this manual "HP ProtectTools security software 2011"  , link for English version http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02950624/c02950624.pdf

I guess you will learn how to use to software and logon to Windows swiping your finger.

Bye

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
Ryan8720
Message 5 of 6 (11,730 Views)

Credential manager is included in the security manager.  I have added my fingerprints to the credential manager, but I can't use it to log in to WIndows.

Please use plain text.
qnn
Occasional Visitor
qnn
Message 6 of 6 (10,373 Views)

Need to install and run "HP Protect Tools"

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation