FN key for brightness not working (1199 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Souvik De
Message 1 of 7 (1,199 Views)

FN key for brightness not working

hey profis my compaq 6720s brightness key F8 and F9 is not working others working properly. Do anybody know how to make it proper and how to make it from windows. im using Xp..
please help
Thanks
Souvik
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (1,199 Views)

Re: FN key for brightness not working

That function comes from the video driver and the Quicklaunch.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3442833&...

Make sure you also have the Intel chipset driver installed.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Souvik De
Message 3 of 7 (1,199 Views)

thanks steve but the problem is still there now what is happening is if im increasing the brightness its not giving the effect suddenly its giving the effect on next start up..
is it possible to adjust from inside the windows??
Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 4 of 7 (1,199 Views)

I had the same issue on my laptop with an nVidia video card. Uninstalling and reinstalling the video driver fixed it for me.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Andrew Guthrie
Message 5 of 7 (1,199 Views)

I have exactly the same problem - the other Funtion keys work fine in Windows. Interestly the brightness only changes in Windows if I unplug the mains adapter. This actually makes the screen dimmer but if I repeatedly plug the adapter in and out the brightness cycles through various levels. Function F7 and Function F8 only work up until the login prompt appears.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Ozkan Erkilic
Message 6 of 7 (1,199 Views)

If you install Bios f.09, this happens(also your lcd may flick). If you install a newer version bios f.07 beta, these problems will go but you will not be able to use your expresscard on XP. By the way, any time you wish, you are able to switch between f.09 and f.07 beta. Solution may be a newer bios update which will take care of all these.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
bfessenden
Message 7 of 7 (1,199 Views)

I had the same issue on 20 6720's we just purchased, pre-downgraded to XP Pro: all the function keys *except* for F7 and F8 (the brightness keys on the 6720's we have) worked fine.

The solution for me was, as recommended by an HP tech, to upgrade the Quick Launch software with sp38341.exe.

Now the brightness keys work fine on all of them.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation