Elitepad 900 problems with wi-fi networks - limited connectivity (12356 Views)
Collector
Diogo_Assuncao
Message 1 of 37 (12,356 Views)
Accepted Solution

Elitepad 900 problems with wi-fi networks - limited connectivity

[ Edited ]

Just bought the Elitepad 900 32GB, Win 8 Pro 32 bits.

I'm having a problem connecting to my office wi-fi network. This is an open network - anyone can connect; I manage to connect with my Galaxy S2 smartphone without any problem.

After the connection is established I get a "Limited connectivity" and no internet access. When I "repair" the network connection I get some more time connected and then it happens again.

The diagnoses that the "repair network connection" presents are: missing predefined gateway and wrong IP configuration (I think - since my pc language is not english).

I've installed  the most recent drivers running the .exe directly (as administrator) and also from the Softpack manager.

The problem remains. 

Also, when I'm using Softpack I allways get an error... it keeps saying that there is a new version available.

Has anyone came across this problem?

Thank you 

Best regards

Diogo Assunção

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Nikhil_HP
Message 2 of 37 (12,338 Views)

Re: Elitepad 900 problems with wi-fi networks - limited connectivity

Have you changed the power options for the wifi adapter?

in less battery the pad is set to provide less power to the wifi adapter causing the unit to get the same error message as you get.

Please change the same from the control panel>Power>change plan settings>advanced settings>wifi power state>set this to maximum performance.

HP Service Media Library
http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html
Please use plain text.
Collector
Diogo_Assuncao
Message 3 of 37 (12,286 Views)

I changed the power options for the wifi to Maximum Performance. The results are the same... after a while the wifi connection icon shows a yellow exclamation sign on top and the wi-fi connection says: limited.

I'm trying to connect to an open network, with no authentication and no encryption.

I've checked the adapter driver version and date: 3.7.0.191 with date 2013-02-27.

I've also uninstalled the driver I had and installed the one of 2013-03-02, but no improvemnts... I still get the "limited" indication and no internet connection.

Can anyone help me? Is anybody having the same problem?

Diogo

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
outcrowd17
Message 4 of 37 (12,213 Views)

I am experiencing the exact same issue. Is this a known issue to HP?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
kekker
Message 5 of 37 (12,209 Views)

Same issue here. Reset the 900 multiple times and tried every combination of wi-fi driver available.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MRamos
Message 6 of 37 (12,135 Views)

[ Edited ]

Exact same model, brand new as of 1 week ago and exact same issues as others from day 1.  Reset all equipment and using multiple wifi devices - this is the only one with any connectivity issues.  For what is't worth I'm using a Cisco/Linksys EA4500 wireless router.  A co-worker has the same device and has no issues using a Netgear wireless router...

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sampson-A
Message 7 of 37 (12,126 Views)

I have the same issue. I've tried all of the above, still the same issue Limited connection. Please fix this issue as it make the device unable.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Nikhil_HP
Message 8 of 37 (12,115 Views)

Hi All,

Since so many people have this issue, I would suggest you to please call hp Technical support and let them know of the same. As a reference I would suggest you to provide this forum page link to the remote engineer so that this issue could be escalated.

HP Service Media Library
http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html
Please use plain text.
Visitor
KopjeKoffie
Message 9 of 37 (12,075 Views)

I have the same issue.

Bought a Elitepad 900 but it is useless without a working internet connection.

How about the drivers, did anyone with the same issue install these drivers from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-115...

it is driver and firmware update but it does not say anything about the wifi connection.

I installed the latest  atheros AR6004 driver but it did not resolve the issue.

Please fix it, or I'll have to send the elitepad back.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Emracingdk
Message 10 of 37 (12,060 Views)

I have the Linksys EA4500 router, same problem here, a windows update allmost solved my problem.

Now I don´t get the "limited access" message, but surfing the internet can be very slow.

When I jump to the network provided by my Apple Airport Express (which is connected by cable to my linksys router) everything is ok.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
KopjeKoffie
Message 11 of 37 (12,056 Views)

I use the Cisco EPC 3925 but none of my connected devices have any issues at all.

I installed all Windows updates.

Should I buy a new router?

How can I make sure that will solve the problem?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 12 of 37 (12,045 Views)

Hi all. I am new to the forum and have had my ElitePad 900 WIFI bundle for only 16 days. So, assign credibilty accordingly.  I am not an IT person either. I like the device, dont like the absence of the Pen and Productivity Jacket, and have been working to make this a practical device for me.  I use a mixture of MS Wedge BT keyboard, Proclick BT mouse, HP laser Keyboard and a MS BT mouse.   Anyhow, I had the same WIFI issue as reported in this thread.  Not only would the WIFI drop out, but there was also no Bluetooth.  So, what I did (3 days ago) was to go into power settings and assign the battery and plugged-in power settings to "Never" shut off.  Since, that move, I have not lost my WIFI connection or BT.  I have sacrificed some of the battery life, but most of the time my ElitePad 900 is on the dock charging.  So far, the WIFI has been reliable, but who knows, it could all change tomorrow.  It was my understanding that when the computer hibernates, that it shuts off WIFI and BT.  For some reason, they did not want to reliably disconnect.  It's a simple intervention, and you can always easily change it back if it doesn't work for you. 

My biggest issue with the ElitePad 900 so far is that one of my legacy software products (a vertical market product for psychologists) will not install and is not supported by the manufacturer for WIN 8.  I have run the compatibility check troubleshooter, but to no avail.  I may post in another appropriate thread on this subject of running legacy (Windows XP) programs on WIN8. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 13 of 37 (12,044 Views)

Meant to say "re-connect".
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Hermzy
Message 14 of 37 (12,037 Views)

[ Edited ]

Same issue here. I'm on my second Elitepad 900 and have the exact same problem on both devices. Connecting it via Ethernet work great, oh wait... this is a wireless device. Not good.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Hermzy
Message 15 of 37 (11,999 Views)

OK. This worked for me, but I have the docking station:

1. Reset the tablet back to factory install of OS.

2. Connect the docking station via an Ethernet cable to the router

3. Complete setup of the OS including seting up a Microsoft ID (either log in if you have one, or create one)

4. After OS setup navigate your browser to the link on the top of this page called "Support & Drivers"

5. Download the latest WiFi driver 

6. Install the driver

7. Unplug the ethernet cord and log into your network

This fixed my "limited" network access.

Good luck to all.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
KopjeKoffie
Message 16 of 37 (11,933 Views)

I followed your step, but after the first step, I am left with a clean install of WIndows, without the HP software. And I did not make a copy of the recovery before the windows restoration.

Please where can I download the full image that HP placed on the Elitepad?

I still have all these problems with Wifi disconnected and not powering on after sleep-mode.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 17 of 37 (11,921 Views)

Quick update:  5-6 days out from the simple settings changes in my previous post, I have not lost WIFI or BT even once.  Changing the power settings does not seem to have greatly reduced battery life, though I have not conducted a formal test.  Anyone else tried it?  It is a non-destructive, reversible change.  I hope that it is helpful. I will update later, if there are changes.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MRamos
Message 18 of 37 (11,907 Views)

I had tried everything here, including the power settings, etc. as well as some other fixes I found on google ("ways to fix unidentified network", "ways to fix limited network connection", etc.) but here's what finally worked for me. 

From the elitepad itself search for and run Refresh PC (found in the Settings section).

Windows will basically do a repair and remove some of the installed programs which you can re-install later.  It took my device about 20 minutes to complete the refresh.

After running the refresh I was OK so I started applying Windows Updates but only a few at a time.

I noticed that when I applied update KB2781197 I immediately encountered the Limited Connection issue.

I removed it and have not had the issue since.

It's been 2 days for me and so far so good.  Prior to that I would experience the issue anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour of use whether I was accessing the Internet or not.

I'm not saying this will be the issue for eveyone but hopefully it works for someone out there.  You may even be able to remove just the one update without having to do a refresh.

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 19 of 37 (11,869 Views)

I  am sorry to report that the to good to be true "fix" of changing the power settings did not work.  I was in a different WIFI environment today and the same old WIFI and BT problem resumed.  So, I called HP ElitePad 900 support and so far no answers.  The Tech is to do some research and call me tomorrow with a plan.  I will post what I learn, if it is helpful.  Sorry if I wasted anyone's time with the hypothesis. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 20 of 37 (11,818 Views)

On last Tuesday, I opened a case with HP Tech Support for the WIFI and BT issues. The tech sent me the links to the most updated drivers and I have installed them. So far, so good--but I will need to test the system in different environments before I make a report about the status of these problems. I am to speak again with the HP ElitePad specific Tech on 4/9 to review the results. I will report back.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
vshcherbyna
Message 21 of 37 (11,777 Views)

Hello Everyone,

I got exactly the same problem and I fixed it by rolling back to a previous wi-fi driver one by one. This is explained in my post in more details:

http://www.shcherbyna.com/?p=2055

In my case the best wi-fi driver in terms of quality is 3.7 (08 Feb 2013)

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Ravnholdt
Message 22 of 37 (11,705 Views)

Can you share the version numbers of the drivers you have gotten for HP Tech ?

Please use plain text.
Collector
Diogo_Assuncao
Message 23 of 37 (11,675 Views)

After struggling around with this problem, following most of the suggestions you left, updating to the most recent HP released wi-fi driver, changing the adapter power settings, rolling back to previous versions of the drivers...
I decided to google for Qualcomm's drivers instead of HP's.
I found this one: http://drivers.downloadatoz.com/vendor_atheros_type_network-card/415775,atheros-ar6004-wifi-adapter-...

Then I uninstalled the device in device manager, rebooted, looked for new devices and used the driver I downloaded.

It has been working for longer than ever. Will update in a few days.

Thank you all for your replies
Best regards
Diogo
Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 24 of 37 (11,642 Views)

This is the WIFI driver that I was given by HP tech:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=51...

I have not extensively tested it yet, but in my usual environments, it has worked ok.  On one occasion, in a new network, I had to reset my wifi adapter, and it located the wireless networks just fine.   I have always said that you make changes at your own peril, but the inconsistent WIFI has up until now been a frustrating problem.  Running the wireless troubleshooter is sometimes helpful in new WIFI environments. 

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
docjb1
Message 25 of 37 (11,604 Views)

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation