Re: Elitebook 8460p BIOS Password recovery (4738 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jake_Nelson
Message 1 of 4 (4,793 Views)

Elitebook 8460p BIOS Password recovery

Hello everyone,

I'm working on two laptops (both purchased from HP and are under warranty) that will not let me log in to the BIOS.

We assign a BIOS Administrator password to all of our laptops and all of our Elitebook 8460s have the same password so I know what the password should but but I still can't log in.

As part of our security policy these two laptops can not boot from USB devices, or optical media.

I have tried entering the password three times to get the key to send back to HP but this model doesn't give me a key, it just denies access.

Both systems are brand new so I would really hate to replace both motherboards at my expense.

I do not have any sparekeys enrolled on these systems.

I do have a copy of the hpreadid.exe application from HP to run on the system but I can't boot in to DOS to run it and it doesn't run under Windows ( I think it's a 16-bit application).

I've also read that this model doesn't support the 'remove the batterries and wait for cmos to clear' trick.

I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 2 of 4 (4,765 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8460p BIOS Password recovery

Jake Nelson

Please use the HP Callcenter for Bios Password reset.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jake_Nelson
Message 3 of 4 (4,747 Views)

I have called them and they told me straight out that I would be replacing the motherboards. I was hoping to find a trick that the call centre staff don't know.

Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Toffy
Message 4 of 4 (4,738 Views)

[ Edited ]

look the Message   2nd  3d

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation