Elitebook 8440w Wireless Adaptor Turn Off itself (3270 Views)
Occasional Contributor
toiletrolls
Message 1 of 6 (3,270 Views)

Elitebook 8440w Wireless Adaptor Turn Off itself

Hi

I have a problem with my wireless adaptor.  I am using Win7 Pro 64bit. Wireless Advance. 

My wireless adaptor will turn off itself when I am surfing the net, downloading files.  It happens very often lately.  When the wireless turnoff itself, the wireless button willl appear orange and the status bar will show wireless disable.  The only way to get connected again is to restart my laptop. 

I tried turning off the wifi power saver mode from the device manager, but it doesn't work.  It happens like 20 times yesterday and this morning. 

Can help to rectify this?

DAvid

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
topmahof
Message 2 of 6 (3,250 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8440w Wireless Adaptor Turn Off itself

wifi power saver mode. not sure what that is.  if you already did this, sorry. control panel,  power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, wireless adapter settings,  click power saving mode and make sure both settings are set to maximum performance.

then, control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on your wireless adapter,  properties, power management,  uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

TC-4400 windows 7 ultimate-xppro dual boot
NC-4400 windows 7 ultimate-xppro dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
toiletrolls
Message 3 of 6 (3,205 Views)

HI hi!!! 

I have tried this.. but it doesn't work still...  wonder wat's wrong with it. 

thanks alot..

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
next2thebay
Message 4 of 6 (3,198 Views)

I'm having the same problem as well. But the curious thing is that after I uncheck the "allow computer to turn off wireless" box. It seems to recheck itself somehow. Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
topmahof
Message 5 of 6 (3,189 Views)

check to see if one other setting is right.  device manager, right click on your wireless adapter,  properties, advanced, make sure transmit power is set to 100% and the roaming aggressiveness is set to medium.

the problem with windows 7 is that there are settings everywhere.  just changing one usually doesn't do anything. you have to change them all.

TC-4400 windows 7 ultimate-xppro dual boot
NC-4400 windows 7 ultimate-xppro dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
next2thebay
Message 6 of 6 (3,164 Views)

Just verifed it. However, I think I found a fix. There are updated drivers for the wireless device on HP's site:

Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows 7

Intel PRO/Wireless Drivers for Microsoft Windows 7 13.3 
3 Sep 2010 14.7 56K: 35m
512K: 3m  

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

THere is also an updated BIOS. I updated both and it seems to be working now.

BIOS update:

Description Current version Size (MB) Estimated download time Prev

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=4097190&...

Give this a shot.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation