Elitebook 8440p docking station, black screen (2397 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Ronny Horgen
Message 1 of 3 (2,397 Views)

Elitebook 8440p docking station, black screen

[ Edited ]

There was a post here last week regarding this problem, but now they don't show anymore. I think HP must adress this issue with the new 8440p and maybe it's the same with others in the same family. The problem shows when you run Windows XP on 8440p and then put it in the new docking station - same with both the 90W and the 230W docking - the display panel goes blank on both the 8440p and on the external monitor. We also use a USB keyb and mouse at the docking.

We first tried the new 8440p BIOS F.07 who should solve this: Fixes an issue where the notebook stops responding (locks up) and the display panel is blank when booting with the notebook in a docking station. This issue ONLY occurs on notebooks that are running a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System.

No luck with the BIOS - problem is the same.

The answer in the original post from Meszaros Alexander was the following:

HP Online Support could not help me, but today after 3 days I solved the problem myself:
go to the BIOS and turn off serial port.

This solved the problem here too, and HP should look further into this, and make a better solution than disabling the serial port.

P.S. this thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE - HP Forums moderator

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Smith (MindShift)
Message 2 of 3 (2,397 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8440p docking station, black screen

I have experienced exactly the same problem.

Disabling the serial port has at least resolved it. Thank you for the Post.

Bruce Smith
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
A.C. de Vries
Message 3 of 3 (2,397 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8440p docking station, black screen

I can confirm that disabling the serial port solves this issue, thanks for figuring it out ;)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation