Elitebook 6930p - latch problems (5766 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Hawk97223
Message 1 of 8 (5,766 Views)

Elitebook 6930p - latch problems

I cannot get the latch to stay shut; it pops open at the slightest touch. Are other users noticing this or do I have a defective unit?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Rui Marcelo Fonseca
Message 2 of 8 (5,766 Views)

Re: Elitebook 6930p - latch problems

Mine has the same problem too..

Send it to repair.. came back the same..

As far as they told me, there are lots of complaints about this issue.

HP knows about it, so I brought the laptop again, and the seller kept my contact and told me that they are pressing HP to solve the problem, as it is common to almost all of the 6930p models.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Hawk97223
Message 3 of 8 (5,766 Views)

HP finally said that the base enclosure and display assembly (where the posts are) needs to be replaced, which essentially requires disassembling the entire notebook. I've asked them just to replace it since it's only a few weeks old.

In looking at it more closely, the little U shaped pieces that attach to the Display Release and engage the posts of the display don't move when the little rubber hole protectors next to the touch pad are pressed down. Therefore those gray U pieces can't engage the posts on the display. I think it can be fixed, but you'd have to take the whole darn thing apart.
Please use plain text.
Vajith V
Message 4 of 8 (5,766 Views)

Hi,

Welcome to HP Forums.

Lab is aware of an issue with some docking stations not fully latching the notebook down to the dock. You can tell if you are experiencing this issue, if you can properly dock the notebook to the docking station, and then easily lift the notebook off of the docking station without pushing the eject button. This was a manufacturing error which Lab has found and corrected. If you are experiencing this issue, then, please contact HP for normal warranty service.

Thanks & Regards,
Vajith
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Hawk97223
Message 5 of 8 (5,766 Views)

But, this particular problem is not concerning the docking station; it is the fact that the LCD screen will not latch to the case when you close the lid.

Is that problem documented by the LAB?
Please use plain text.
Vajith V
Message 6 of 8 (5,766 Views)

Hi Hawk97223,

Lab is aware of an issue with display not latching in some notebooks. This was a manufacturing error which lab has found and corrected. If you are experiencing this issue, than please "contact HP" for normal warranty service.

Thannks & Regards,
Vajith
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Ronny Horgen
Message 7 of 8 (5,766 Views)

We had the opposite problem with an 2008 Adv docking - the 6930p would not eject. The same dock worked okey with an older nc6220, but we got the new dock replaced. The new one worked okey.

I hope someone from HP read this........

I'm trying to get an 6930p to boot a CD/DVD or a HD in the 2008 Adv dock. I have the last BIOS, and in the boot-order it sure looks like it is possible to boot from the unit in the dock, but the 6930p og 8530p will not do that. If I press F9 at power-up no boot device in the dock will show up even if the device is listed at the top in the boot-order menu. I would think this problem is related to something in the BIOS, and hope someone in HP can look into this.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RichMuk88
Message 8 of 8 (830 Views)

It is possible to fix the latches, what you need is a technician who knows his stuff. The problem is either on the gray metal clampers inside(they may have bent backwards) or on the black pins on the screen (the back part could be worn out).

To fix it, a good technician needs to unscrew the frontal screws and the keyboard and the screws beside the keyboard, lift the keyboard out and then the top cover of the base, not too high though and too rough. Then with a pliers one has to straighten out and press forward the metal clampers using the pliers with the black cover and the clamp between the pliers. Squeeze the plier until the clamp is straight backed and sits on top of the grey springy cover. Then close the machine when satisfied.

If there is anyone in Johannesburg who needs my help just contact me.

Hope it helps :)

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation