Re: Compaq nx7000 - cannot format hard disk to reinstall software (1102 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Rajesh Shah_5
Message 1 of 7 (1,102 Views)

Compaq nx7000 - cannot format hard disk to reinstall software

I have the original Operating System disk which came with this notebook. However, it has Windows XP Pro SP1. Ever since I installed updates from Microsoft for SP3 I can no longer use the Operating Disk to reinstall windows. Worse still when I tried to erase the existing software completely my hard disk is locked and I can no longer get access to format it and reinstall all the software again. Does anyone know whether I can easily get a boot disk or boot software to start using this notebook again. I am the original owner and have proof of purchase etc.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (1,102 Views)

Re: Compaq nx7000 - cannot format hard disk to reinstall software

I don't get the hard drive is locked? How is it locked? You are going to have to be more specific. Yes you can use a low level formatting disk to remove everything from the hard drive. The best one is dban (Darik's boot and nuke) found here:

"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 3 of 7 (1,102 Views)

I don't get the hard drive is locked? How is it locked? You are going to have to be more specific. Yes you can use a low level formatting disk to remove everything from the hard drive. The best one is dban (Darik's boot and nuke) found here:

http://www.dban.org/download
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Rajesh Shah_5
Message 4 of 7 (1,102 Views)

Steve, thanks. I assumed the harddrive is locked because I tried to access it using a Windows 98 boot disk which had DOS boot files on it. I can book but get the message that I cannot access and read the hard drive. Hence, I ASSUMED that it is locked.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 5 of 7 (1,102 Views)

Likely not locked. XP uses an ntfs file system which DOS does not recognize. DOS only sees FAT file systems. You can however use the DOS disk to remove an ntfs partition just use the fdisk command and choose to delete a non-DOS partition. Then you have a blank drive.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Rajesh Shah_5
Message 6 of 7 (1,102 Views)

Steve, I will have a go with the DOS programme after this question, if I may. I just read on this HP site that some HP computers have a hidden recovery section on the hard disk, which if erased can block the hard disk. Do you think this may happen if I format the NFTS portion? Is the ROM of the computer on this disk or outside this disk?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 7 of 7 (1,102 Views)

Yes there may be a recovery partition. You will see it when formatting the disk, if so. It is the much smaller of 2 partitions. It can be safely removed without consequence. The ROM (BIOS) is not on the hard drive at all it is on a chip on the motherboard. That has always been true. In the old, old days (pre-PIII) Compaqs had a "setup partition" which was used to read and access the BIOS and removing it would make it hard to reset BIOS settings. Even then, the ROM was not on the hard drive, just the access software. You do not need to worry about that.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation