Compaq Armada M700 hard drive issue (207 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Mark_707
Message 1 of 5 (207 Views)

Compaq Armada M700 hard drive issue

I have just got an M700 machine which was supplied without a hard drive. I have a new IBM Travelstar IC25N020ATDA04-0 20GB hard drive which I have put into the caddy and if I try to boot the machine to install XP, it hangs on the Compaq splash screen and will not proceed any further. However, if I remove the hard drive and reboot the machine, then it will go through the XP setup to the stage where the drive is needed.
I have not sent any jumpers on the hard drive (believe it is master if unjumpered) and the laptop will not boot to BIOS with the hard drive in to check it's state.
Would appreciate any ideas on how to get this working. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
grayson
Message 2 of 5 (207 Views)

Re: Compaq Armada M700 hard drive issue

try cs setting on the HD , on my m700 one brand of HD demands master , another CS ! don't ask me to explain why!
just sounds like a mismatch with the optical drive ; presume this is compaq branded

grayson
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Mark_707
Message 3 of 5 (207 Views)

This is going to sound really stupid, but how do I change between master and CS setting - there appear to be 2 sets of jumper pins which don't plug into the caddy connections - do I need to jumper across two of those?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Simon Poulton
Message 4 of 5 (207 Views)

This should assist you in finding the jumper settings for Cable Select and Master

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/4k40/4k40jum.htm
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
grayson
Message 5 of 5 (207 Views)

the only stupid question is the one you don't ask !answer is yes!
often these come with a spare jumper stuck on in a non working position ; if you don't have one you will have to find one !
there should be a diagram somewhere showing which pins you have to bridge to get the other settings , if you can't find that try the IBM site and search jumpers ; if not there , try hitachi , IBM drives are usually rebranded hitachi's
grayson
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation