Can't change BIOS settings DV6500 (1977 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Bernard Wilkerson
Message 1 of 3 (1,977 Views)

Can't change BIOS settings DV6500

Can enter BIOS but cannot make changes or exit.  No functions keys recognized, using a key gets a audio

alarm.  Also, at boot time BIOS will not transfer control to Windows-must use ESC key to leave Boot screen.

Have flashed BIOS with latest version, no change.  I do not have a VISTA CD so I cannot do a recovery.

Suggestions.  Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (1,962 Views)

Re: Can't change BIOS settings DV6500

Hi:

Have you tried clearing all the BIOS settings by following the procedure to clear an unknown BIOS password?

I mention this because this method also clears all CMOS settings as well. Someone may have disabled the Function key options in the BIOS.

See page 44 of the service manual below for the procedure on how to do this.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01295877/c01295877.pdf

Two things: 

1. You should leave both batteries out for at least 30 minutes, not five. Five minutes may not be enough.

2. Do not reconnect EITHER battery until AFTER you have restarted the PC with only the A/C adapter.

Hopefully (and I mean hopefully), that will fix it and then you can go in and set the time, date and BIOS defaults by using the normal keys for this purpose.

Paul

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 3 of 3 (1,959 Views)

Re: Can't change BIOS settings DV6500

More info...

You can't disable the F10 key in the BIOS but you can set a delay of 0 seconds which pretty much means you have to be lightning fast to get in.

Here is your BIOS setup guide:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00820092/c00820092.pdf

You may still want to try the above method to clear out all settings and start over.

Paul

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation