Can't boot laptop. Keep getting message - 104-unsupported wireless network device detected (594 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Rick DeNio
Message 1 of 18 (594 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't boot laptop. Keep getting message - 104-unsupported wireless network device detected

I can't seem to boot up my Compaq nc6000 laptop. I keep getting this message - 104-unsupported wireless network device detected.
The laptop has Bluetooth capability, but I don't use it. I use the ethernet port to connect to the network at work. Any idea what might be happening here? It worked fine yesterday and no changes were made. This started happening this morning when I turned the machine on at work.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Andy Fisher
Message 2 of 18 (594 Views)

Re: Can't boot laptop. Keep getting message - 104-unsupported wireless network device detected

This message occurs when a 3rd party 802.11 MiniPCI card is detected. Check under the panel on the bottom of the unit to see if a card is installed. Remove it and see if it boots.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1120220
Message 3 of 18 (594 Views)

Re: Can't boot laptop. Keep getting message - 104-unsupported wireless network device detected

I'm having the same problem on my nc4010 laptop. I don't have any 3rd party wireless devices, only what came with the laptop. It's actually quite irritating! I've found that as long as you unseat and reseat the card, that will sometimes fix the problem. But, that's not always the case.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
JosephF
Message 4 of 18 (594 Views)

If it works with the card out, try updating the bios to the latest version.

Then try re-seating the card.
Should fix the prob.
---
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1120220
Message 5 of 18 (594 Views)

It works when I unseat and reseat the card. I haven't tried it with the card out all the time. The BIOS was already updated -- that was one of the first things I tried. I've been speaking with the higher-level support; hopefully that means that this an issue they are actually going to look at.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1154244
Message 6 of 18 (594 Views)

Im getting the same message when i try to install a 3rd party wireless networking device on my nc6000...Have you guys found out any solutions??
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
CA1061650
Message 7 of 18 (594 Views)

JT,

What you are seeing is on purpose. The BIOS will not boot when 3rd party MiniPCI WLAN cards are put into the nc6000. Only MiniPCI WLAN cards that are approved for the nc6000 will allow the machine to boot.

The previous posters were having a problem with this BIOS functionality with cards that were approved, but malfunctioning.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1159959
Message 8 of 18 (594 Views)

I have a similar issue, have a ZD7000 series notebook, and the cust is having issues with the wireless card, so the machine's been sent in twice with no result. HP's sent the customer the wireless card twice, both times it's been a differant part, i assume a sub, for the original wireless card. the cust brought it to me, and i've ordered a card from hp, and they sent me two of the same card they sent the customer, all of which give the 104 error on post. cust has the unit right now, so i'm unable to update the bios just yet, will try that when she comes in
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1189641
Message 9 of 18 (594 Views)

Did someone fix this in the meantime? I have the same problem with nc6000 when I insert WiFi MiniPCI card.
The card I am trying to get to work comes from the other HP-Compaq business laptop nx9000, so it can hardly be called â 3rd partyâ
I am quite surprised to find something like 7 different answers regarding the same problem, and that actually none of them solves the pro
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1159959
Message 10 of 18 (594 Views)

i replaced her laptop, could never get an answer from compaq
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
CA1061650
Message 11 of 18 (555 Views)

To MiSp,

BIOSLock prevents any WLAN device, including WLAN devices for other HP notebooks, that is not meant for and legally permissible to work with the notebook in question. This feature was put in as a requirement from the various regulatory organization of the countries where HP sells notebooks. This regulatory organizations have asked OEMs to provide a feature to make sure that only approved devices work... HP has done this with BIOSLock.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1159959
Message 12 of 18 (555 Views)

okay, so how do we remove it if persay, HP/Compaq sends us a wireless card as a replacement part.....
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
CA1061650
Message 13 of 18 (555 Views)

HP should only ever send you a replacement card that is legal for the notebook and thus should pass the BIOSLock check. There is no way to turn off the check.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joris Tielen
Message 14 of 18 (555 Views)

Well this is what we have here:
1. 180 laptops (NC4000 and NC6000)
2. 1st order 80 mini pci WLAN cards W500. No problems with these cards.
3. 2nd order of 20 cards. More then 30% with the 104 error.
4. 30% replaced cards. about 50% with the same error.
5. that 50% replaced. Still 1 ore 2 cards with the problem.
6. Next order of 10 cards. 50% Failure.
7. And so on. every order has several cards with this problem.
The vendor is repacing these cards without any problem but the time it costes for the users and us at the IT department is getting a bit much.
All the error cards have given the error in two (or more) different laptops. Also the laptops are not the same ones every times. so 80 cards wrk fine. The rest is giving us a lot of problems.

Now the problem does occur mostly when rebooting. But not at every reboot. This morning I had to reboot a known defective card 6 times till the error. (I'm starting to think towards heat...).
Even different BIOS versions does not seem to affect this problem.

I hope someone can help us with this problem.

Card details:
(Of one singel card revision numbers do varry from card to card and do not seem to make any differance)
R770608L
KI2102HCS600S1
9605A1 1.02
325525-001
SPS# 325525-001 AS# 326757-001
REV 0C
(other side)
J07H069.01
0407837-06
(And the FCC, CE, And other regulatory labels)

If you need to know anything else. Please ask.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Burleyk
Message 15 of 18 (555 Views)

I have one of the Armstrong HP's (L2000). I thought I had this fixed but it happened again tonight.

I don't have 3rd party stuff. The bios has been updated. I did a painful reinstall of windows et al.

I had no problems for a year. Then, just after a windows update...bam. Computer locks up and I get the message on reboot.

I note that if I leave the wireless turn off... no problems. What a pain. A notebook that you can not use wireless on.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 16 of 18 (555 Views)

Just to set the record straight and assign blame where blame is due. This is NOT a legal regulatory requirement. Only HP and IBM do this and if pressed they will give the "party line" that FCC regulations require this BIOS lock. In fact if you read the regulation they will cite to you it says that you may not replace an approved adapter/antenna combination with an unapproved antenna. There is nothing in the regulation that forbids replacing the wi-fi card. No other laptop maker other than HP and IBM/(Lenovo) does this. I think the HP BIOS lock is the source of the enormous problems being experienced by users of the Pavilion dv6000, dv9000 and Presario V6000 series laptops where wi-fi just stops working for no apparent reason.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Philip Doragh
Message 17 of 18 (555 Views)

Steve,

Just to set things REALLY straight... because of all the use of OEM cards, etc... FCC has requested that all notebook manufacturers include lock capability and want that lock capability to be bi-directional... that is platform looks for a specific device and device looks for a specfic platform. HP, et. al has BIOS hackers and device EEPROM hackers to thank for this.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 18 of 18 (555 Views)

Phil I do not claim to always be up to the minute but I went around on this with Clinton Tam a few months ago and we tried to track down the exact legal basis why HP does this. Came to the conclusion that there is no legal compulsion to do a BIOS lock which explains why most manufacturers do not use one. The FCC only cares about frequency interference and they want to prevent high powered wi-fi setups. One wi-fi card is about the same as any other in that regard until you start hacking the antenna.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation