COMPAQ NC6400 CANNOT DETECT WIRELESS NETWORKS (533 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jason Campita
Message 1 of 2 (533 Views)

COMPAQ NC6400 CANNOT DETECT WIRELESS NETWORKS

Hi All

My IT Dept. has been of no help at all. Until about a month ago, I can use Wi-Fi and surf wirelessly at home or at the mall or practically anywhere where there is a wireless network.

Then, suddenly I cannot do this anymore. problem is my laptop wouldn't recognize or detect any networks, even if the WLAN is working. The blue light is on, yes, the WLAN is on but no, there are no networks even if everyone in the room can detect those signals.

I have heard from our IT department that this product (since these are issued in batches to employees) is notorious for its lapses and apparently this is one of them. I feel so unlucky because the first batch were Dell laptops and too bad I did not get a Dell.

I was thinking it may be the antenna that has a problem and I tried searching this site for anything on it but of course, nothing I can find which is of help. Too bad.

I am not in the US and there is no 1-800 which I can call. There is a customer service line, which is closed at the moment. I will try that but looks like I need to have it replaced.

I've had so many problems with this PC. This is the worst because practically, the wireless device is useless.

If there is anyone who can help, I appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Jeremy Ronsen
Message 2 of 2 (533 Views)

Re: COMPAQ NC6400 CANNOT DETECT WIRELESS NETWORKS

Which WLAN NIC do you have? The Intel or the Broadcom? If you have the Intel WLAN NIC (2200BG, for instance) try installing the Intel PROSet/Wireless Network Connection Software which can be found http://tinyurl.com/2tz2yo.

If you have the Broadcom WLAN NIC, upgrade the BIOS, the Intel Chipset drivers and make sure that you have the latest Broadcom drivers.

Also check the BIOS to see if LAN/WLAN switching is on and if the LAN power saver is enabled.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation