Battery light blinks 8 times, will not pwr up (3610 Views)
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 1 of 6 (3,610 Views)

Battery light blinks 8 times, will not pwr up

Brand new M700. Plugged in to charge battery. W98se loaded, everything fine. Loaded AOL. Played some music. Left plugged in overnight to fully charge battery before calibrating. Next morning unit would not turn on. When power slide is pushed the hard drive green light comes on weak and the battery charge light blinks eight times. Then nothing. The three main lights that normally come on when the power slide is pushed never come on. Does the same thing whether AC is plugged in or not. Tried good battery out of my other M700. No difference. Help!!!!
"Inactive" generic user for pre-merger Compaq forum authors.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 2 of 6 (3,610 Views)

Re: Battery light blinks 8 times, will not pwr up

I am having the exact same problem. My message is simply entitled "Dead Machine". I have Win2000 Pro loaded on my machine but the problem must be hardware related. I left my battery out last night but it still didn't help. If you get any response or figure it out please let me know. - thanks, gwilson
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
CA835831
Message 2 of 6 (3,610 Views)

I just spoke to Compaq Support (Andrew). He had me use only the A/C without the battery. We could not get the power light to stop flashing by holding down the power button with suspend button. He informed me the power circuit is bad and to have the unit repaired or replaced. I chose replaced. I hope this helps so you can get a new unit or yours replaced. I would call Compaq Support so you can start the process yourself.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
CA835830
Message 4 of 6 (3,610 Views)

gwilson - that is exactly what I would recommend for any machine that has problems like you were experiencing.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
CA1068216
Message 5 of 6 (3,610 Views)

The issue is probably with the Voltage Converter board. This board plugs into the motherboard but requires a considerable amount of dis-assembly to get to it. I had the same problem and I replaced that board and I am running fine now.

Schon Rindani
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rob_86
Message 6 of 6 (3,610 Views)

I have also experienced this problem with the orange LED flashing eight times and the M700 refusing to start up - no matter what you do with the battery or the AC adaptor. That has happened to me twice before.

I found a post somewhere in this discussion forum that described a somewhat strange fix: Remove battery and power cord. Then hold down the FN key while plugging in the power cord. Start tapping the F11 key about 15-20 times and release the FN key.

The first time I had this problem, the above procedure fixed it, and the M700 would power up again normally!

The second time I experienced that problem, the FN + F11 key procedure did not work initially, and I thought this time some hardware was really damaged and I would have to get my Armada repaired. BUT I removed the battery and disconnected the power cord and let the PC sit for a week or so, and after that I tried the FN / F11 procedure again - and it worked!

So my advice to all you M700 users with the "LED-blinks-8-times" problem would be to WAIT and try the above before you send in your PC to get it repaired.

I assume there is something not quite right with the power management of these Armada M700 models, but in my experience it's not as fatal as some of the posts make it seem. FYI, I believe my "LED-flashes-8-times problem" came about when the M700 would not shut down normally (another favorite in these discussion forums...) so that I had to unplug the power cord and then remove the battery to get the machine to shut off.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation