Re: Armada m700 Startup Problem (86 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Mandy_5
Message 1 of 3 (86 Views)

Armada m700 Startup Problem

[ Edited ]

Hello.

Recently my dad bought an Armada m700 notebook computer. Last night he decided to clear off some things, and apparently deleted some necessary files. Now we can't start up the computer, reformat, install windows... basically anything.

When you press the ON button, it comes up on a black screen displaying this message:

Type the name of the Command Interpreter (eg., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
C>

Could someone please help us out.

Thanks a lot,
Mandy

P.S. this thread has been moevd from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > general to Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE - HP Forums Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Ron Kinner
Message 2 of 3 (86 Views)

Re: Armada m700 Startup Problem

Looks like it's not seeing the boot.ini file.

This is what the c:\boot.ini file looks like on my M700:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

You can try telling it:

C:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe
when it asks for the Command Interpreter but probably he's killed too much off.

http://www3.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=344&source...

may help.

I'd go into the BIOS setup (I think you have to hit F10 after restarting it usually about the time the little cursor appears in the upper right of the screen.) and set the boot order to boot from a CD first then you should be able to get it to reload from the Windows CDROM.

Ron

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Simon Poulton
Message 3 of 3 (86 Views)

Re: Armada m700 Startup Problem

Hi

If you tell me the OS I can send you the COMMAND.COM correct for your system. 98 and 95 use the same command.com usually located in C:\COMMAND.COM

Hope This info Helps
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation