8530w Protect Tools Installed, have no control of BIOS even with BIOS password (56 Views)
Occasional Contributor
STIM141
Message 1 of 3 (56 Views)

8530w Protect Tools Installed, have no control of BIOS even with BIOS password

HAVE BIOS PASSWORD but do not have control to change it in BIOS.  Prior to installation of Protect Tools had complete control, now under Security cannot change password or remove it.  Tried removing hard drive, same results.  When I press f11 during bootup it asks for a password or fingerprint - I enter password and it goes into the BIOS but under security the options to set or change password is greyed out.   Am I missing something or did Protect Tools take control of the BIOS settings to the point they can't be changed without running Protect Tools?  Tried entering Protect Tools again even with the Bios component and it still won't change.  Ran tool as Administrator.

Really want to restore the system to original but the BioS seems like its locked to my user name, password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 2 of 3 (50 Views)

Re: 8530w Protect Tools Installed, have no control of BIOS even with BIOS password

Did you try accessing the BIOS Setup as administrator? Hit F10 and enter administrator BIOS password. As BIOS Admin, you should be able to manage (delete, etc.) other BIOS users and passwords. Unfortunately, i don't have a unit to test

Did you set up a BIOS admin password when you set up the user in ProtectTools? if not, then you may have to set it up and then use it at the F10 setup prompt during boot

I work for HP
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
STIM141
Message 3 of 3 (45 Views)

Re: 8530w Protect Tools Installed, have no control of BIOS even with BIOS password

Yes did that but it ability to change or remove password is greyed out. Cannot reset. Think something in Protect Tools must have set a flag.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation