2740p Touchscreen Digitizer (6697 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Spike11653
Message 1 of 10 (6,697 Views)
Accepted Solution

2740p Touchscreen Digitizer

Been using this product a while now, and I have a glaring issue with it:

The touchscreen is barely operable within ~2cm of the edges.  Getting a touch recognized here is about 50/50, and getting a touch-and-hold/-drag recognized works <1% of the time.

Touch is absolutely fine everywhere else.

Do I have a defective unit?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
WheresTheStylus
Message 2 of 10 (6,572 Views)

Re: 2740p Touchscreen Digitizer

1. Try updating the Wacom firmware with this 2740p update: Indoor/Outdoor Touch Panel and Pen Firmware Update (link is for Win7 x64, else find the firmware for your 2740p OS here)
  2. If you're running Windows7, type in "calibrate" into the start menu and choose "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input." (this might also be available for Vista)  On the display tab, choose "Reset" and select Touch.  Then click "Calibrate.." and select Touch input.  Run through the 16-point per-machine calibration wizard and when that's done click "Calibrate" again and run through the 4-point per-user calibration.

One or both of those two actions might help.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Spike11653
Message 3 of 10 (6,509 Views)

I tried that firmware update, but all it says is:

Invalid system disk

Replace the disk, and then press any key

I've tried with 2 different thumbdrives on 3 different PCs (the tablet itself, my workstation at work, and my desktop PC at home).

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 4 of 10 (6,438 Views)

The build doesn't work so you need to manually create a bootdisk.

I have the same problem with you with the touch not working near the edges.  I cannot close maximized windows.

Creating Manual USB Boot KEY to Install Touch Firmware

1. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=ca&prodTypeId=32...

2. Copy all of the files to a folder on your desktop and name the folder FW.

3. Create a bootable usb key with HP USB Formatting Tool.  You can get it here.  http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

4. Use the files I have attached.  They are for a win98se bootdisk.  Alternatively, you can download from bootdisk.com but you'll need to either have a computer with a floppy OR a virtual floppy, which I can't find one that works for windows 64bit.

5.Copy all the files from FW into your bootable USB key.

6. Restart the computer and boot from your USB key.

7. Run all the *.BAT and *.EXE.  One of them will actually update your firmware.  I forgot which one!  :P

That's the best I can do with a half working build.

Let me know if that'll fix your problem.

------------------------------------
HP Forums are PEER TO PEER, which means it is not OFFICIAL HP support. Just a community of users trying to help each other out (sometimes faster).

For official support, locate your local phone numbers OR online chat support.

https://h50203.www5.hp.com/wclweb/wclentry.aspx?lc=en-US&cc=US

Note: Official support is available to products with valid warranties.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Spike11653
Message 5 of 10 (6,409 Views)

[ Edited ]

So the touchscreen doesn't work at all now...no pen, no touch...

Did the firmware update, went fine, booted up to Windows, uninstalled the old drivers, rebooted, installed the newest drivers, rebooted, and it just plain doesn't work.

Tried rebooting again, no such luck...

EDIT: So I rolled back to the April drivers, and it starts working again...

-_-

BTW, the not-working-near-the-edges problem seems to have vanished.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
zolson
Message 6 of 10 (6,128 Views)

I thought I had defective hardware since I also could not get my touch screen to sense touch on the corners - start menu and minimize, etc were not accessible.  I returned the unit and received a replacement.  It exibits the same behavior.  It looks like a design flaw.  I also have calibrated my stylus about 10 different times for pen input and I still can't get it to track my actual pen position.  Very unlinear. 

I'm guessing HP has not tested this product thoroughly with the touch screen.  Not sure whether I should return it or keep trying to get a fix or working model. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
lovelaptops
Message 7 of 10 (5,864 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a response to the poster who found the problem of getting touch to work on the corners was fixed by rolling back the wacom driver to the April version.

I have been having the same problem with a brand new 2740p (9.1.10) and after trying every possible fix recommended, I too found that rolling back to the April drivers completely cured the problem, and I have no more trouble gettting the touch screen to respond, even in the upper right hand corner.  This is just a classic case of HP updating a driver, but the new one is either worse than the one it replaces, or at minimum is improves some functions but makes others inoperable.  I for one cannot find anythng the newer Wacom driver improved and restoring to the April driver works just perfectly.  Moral of the story: don't use new drivers unless: a) you are having a problem and the Release Notes specify that they have fixed your problem AND, b) wait for a month or more until there are comments posted on this or other forums (eg, tabletpcreview.com) validating the performance of the new driver.

Thanks very much for providing the answer to a very frustrating problem!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
zolson
Message 8 of 10 (5,629 Views)

How did you all find the April drivers.  HP support is clueless and I can'tt find them on the web. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Shane Roberts
Message 9 of 10 (5,595 Views)

Hi zolsen,

Read the second post in this forum by WheresTheStylus, click on the link 'firmware for your 2740p OS "here"'.

Select your operating system and scroll down to the input devices and on the right under previous versions you should see the 30 April release, click the link to get the drivers.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
zolson
Message 10 of 10 (3,319 Views)

It is unfortunate that the HP automatic update install a newer version of the touch screen digitizer that makes it impossible to use the outer half inch of the touchscreen.  Now I have to unintsall, dig up old drivers and reinstall.  Use automatic updates with the 2740p with caution. 

Wish HP tech support knew how to support this product properly. 

Zach

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation