Re: NFS mount requests going though the Virtual Interface (434 Views)
Honored Contributor
Naveej.K.A
Message 1 of 6 (482 Views)

NFS mount requests going though the Virtual Interface

Scenario:-

An NFS Server, server exports an NFS filesystem called /ignitebkp to an NFS client, client.  Share rw access & mount access are given to client only.  

The client has a primary interface (lan26) and multiple virtual interfaces (Yes, service guard packages).  

Problem:-

mount permission denied on client.  On examining the mountd.log on server, I see that the requests to mount are coming from the virtual interface and not from the IP address of client.  How can I get the client to send the request for mount and all future access through its primary interface which actually resolves to client in DNS?

practice makes a man perfect!!!
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Dave Olker
Message 2 of 6 (476 Views)

Re: NFS mount requests going though the Virtual Interface

Are you saying there are multiple IP interfaces on the same subnet?  If not, this is a matter of selecting the proper NFS server IP address that routes through the appropriate client interface. If your NFS client has numerous IP interfaces on the same subnet, that gets a little trickier to force the client to send using a specific interface.  

If you want the client to send mount requests using the primary IP address of the interface you can try experimenting with the kctune parameter ip_strong_es_model. A setting of 2 might give you the behavior you're looking for.

Dave

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Naveej.K.A
Message 3 of 6 (468 Views)

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your reply.  

Yes, I have multiple interfaces (one physical & many virtual) which are on the same subnet.  These virtual interfaces are my service guard package IP addresses.  

From your reply, it looks like a common behavior.  I would like to know who & what determines which IP address should send the mount request.  Meanwhile, I will do some study on ip_strong_es_model and will test it.  

But, I am curious to know if this random selection is a known behavior.

Regards,

Naveej

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Dave Olker
Message 4 of 6 (447 Views)

Naveej.K.A wrote: 

But, I am curious to know if this random selection is a known behavior.

I very much doubt this is a "random" selection.  More likely it is selecting the best interface to use based on the IP routing tables.  You can verify this by examining the routing tables via "netstat -rn".  You can also manipulate the routing tables to try to get the preferred interface used during NFS mounts, though I would first experiment with ip_strong_es_model.

Dave

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Naveej.K.A
Message 5 of 6 (434 Views)

Dave, Thanks for following up.

Well, I have a default gateway for the entire subnet.  Both the physical & the virtual interface are on the same subnet, so I guess the routing information is not being used to pick up which interface the client must use.  

To make it clear.

10.209.11.82   client       client.domain.com  ---> plumbed on lan26
10.209.11.89   client6      client6.domain.com ---> plumbed on lan26:4

10.209.11.16   server       server.domain.com

client & server resolve to the hostname in DNS.  whereas, client6 is my package name.  The request for mount is going from client6instead of client.  

I can give access permission in my dfstab for client6, but the whole thing will break when my package moves from client toanotherclient.

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Message 6 of 6 (394 Views)

Not sure if this HP-UX routing gray paper (NOT an official HP document) could be of some help in routing in multi-homed environments.

http://www.mayoxide.com/presentations/Understanding_hpux_routing.pdf

Regards

-Rajesh

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation