Connecting HP 3000 to network (735 Views)
Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 1 of 16 (735 Views)

Connecting HP 3000 to network

Well i got myself into kind of a pickle. I updated a customer's network with a new router so they would have wireless functionality, and have somehow kicked their HP 3000 off of the network. I have done everything i know of to check that it is on the right network (IP settings and the like) and still cannot ping the HP from any computer, even if i plug my laptop into the hub that the coax from the hp goes directly to. I would appreciate any help, as the MPE OS is a little over my head. Thanks!

Trusted Contributor
donna hofmeister
Message 2 of 16 (729 Views)

Re: Connecting HP 3000 to network

coax? seriously?  what kind of 3000 is this?

how did you check the 3000's network settings?

have you tried stopping/restarting networking on the 3000?  rebooting?

Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 3 of 16 (721 Views)

i believe its an HP 3918, could be wrong about that though, im not on site right now and their office is closed today. I just checked inside nmmgr for the lan1 interface, and it has the correct IP for the subnet needed for the network. And we have tried rebooting the HP a couple times.

Trusted Contributor
donna hofmeister
Message 4 of 16 (714 Views)

it's a 918...

when you start the network, do you see any error messages on the console?  (aside from the usual network start-up chatter...)

please send the results of:  linkcontrol @;status=all

Respected Contributor
Chris Bartram
Message 5 of 16 (712 Views)

Try pinging the HP3000's IP address from a session on the 3000. (ping.net.sys). That should indicate if the 3000 is running with the network config you think it is, and perhaps whether the NIC in question is up at all.

If you are using coax as well, be sure the connectors "pass through" the hub (via a T-connector) and each end of the cable ends with exactly one terminator; i.e. be sure one end of the coax isn't simply attached to the hub.

Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 6 of 16 (704 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will get the requested output tomorrow morning as well as check the cables.

for further support of this machine we would like to put in an ethernet card and do away with the coax card, how difficult would it be to do this?

Trusted Contributor
donna hofmeister
Message 7 of 16 (702 Views)

there's two things that need to be done to allow your 918 to utilize cat-5:

1. acquire an aui that supports sqe/heartbeat.  i strongly recommend you contact a 3rd-party hp hardware support vendor to get one.  the aui will also need a special hanger (it should come with the unit) so that it will firmly attach to the port on the mfio car.

2. the mfio card needs to be slid out and the big jumper near the network port needs to be moved over.  (it's pretty obvious once you've got the card out).  again, i strongly suggest you have a support vendor assist you.

your 918 will jump up and down for joy :-)

Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 8 of 16 (693 Views)

Screen shot 2012-01-06 at 3.29.19 PM.png

Above is the linkstatus command, and below is what constantly shows up on the screen, these errors scroll up every couple of minutes

Screen shot 2012-01-06 at 3.29.29 PM.png

Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 9 of 16 (692 Views)

Currently the HP has a T connector straight from the NIC, one side is terminated and the other goes to another T connector into the modem, and the 3rd plug on that T is not terminated. Could this be causing problems?

Trusted Contributor
donna hofmeister
Message 10 of 16 (687 Views)

no termination can be a bad thing.  if it's been this way for a bazillion years -- i'd say it's not likely to be the problem.

it can't hurt to try to terminating it.  if you do this, you'll want to reboot to get a clean start.

given the age of what you're dealing with, i'd be real suspicious of the cable itself.

if replacing the cable doesn't work, then you could be looking the lan port being bad.  if this is the case, you'll absolutely have to work with a *qualified* 3rd-party vendor.

fwiw, all the console messages are simply from the network not functioning.

Trusted Contributor
donna hofmeister
Message 11 of 16 (686 Views)

a couple things you could try

. do another linkcontrol -- look at the 802 number.  if it is *larger* than in the screen shot -- it's valuable data.

. completely disconnect the thin lan going into the box.  do a linkcontrol -- how does the 802 number change?  (you may want to wait a minute or two between tests)

. take the box down, disconnect the thin lan, start the system.  do another linkcontrol to get the 823 number.  wait...do another linkcontrol.

the big thing you're looking for is -- is the 802 number changing?

if that number is going up when there is no physical network attached -- that probably means the internal NI has died.

Respected Contributor
Chris Bartram
Message 12 of 16 (676 Views)

Those old coax cables absolutely require terminators. If there aren't exactly two terminators on the entire cable - one at each end - it won't work.

Perhaps the cable used to continue on to some other piece of equipment (now decomissioned) and someone "cleaned things up" for you?

Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 13 of 16 (662 Views)

Turns out the terminator fixed it! I wonder what happened to the original terminator on that cable, as nobody has touched that networking equipment in years.

Now we are unable to remote into the server, the server prints just fine and we can ping the server, but remoting in just times out. any ideas?

Trusted Contributor
donna hofmeister
Message 14 of 16 (654 Views)

how are you remoting in?

telnet probably won't work.  you need to come in with vt-mgr.

Occasional Advisor
onpointlcs
Message 15 of 16 (623 Views)

They are try to use an in house developed telnet client, that up until all of this it was working.

Respected Contributor
Chris Bartram
Message 16 of 16 (619 Views)

If you can ping the 3000 from the same place you're trying to telnet from then you have network connectivity. Most likely the necessary service on the 3000 isn't running.

telnet usually requires the jinetd job on the 3000. Make sure that's running.

IIRC you can also configure include/exclude host/ip addresses for inetd on the 3000; so it the inetd job is running and you can't connect, locate the config files and make sure your source host/IP is allowed.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.