Re: unmanaged interfaces from NNM 7.x and update the same interfaces as unmanaged in NNMi 9.20 (745 Views)
Occasional Contributor
girisha
Message 1 of 10 (811 Views)

unmanaged interfaces from NNM 7.x and update the same interfaces as unmanaged in NNMi 9.20

Hi Experts,

our customer is having NNM 7.x running in HP-UX machines. we are migrating NNM 7.x data to NNMi 9.20. we want to get a list of interfaces which are unmanaged in NNM 7.x. And I need to update the same list to NNMi 9.20.Please suggest me the way I can do it

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 2 of 10 (797 Views)

Re: unmanaged interfaces from NNM 7.x and update the same interfaces as unmanaged in NNMi 9.20

This might not be what you want to hear, but I think you should re-think your plans.

Individually unmanaging interfaces in NNMi is a right pain, as it's slow going clicking through all the screens. What you really want to do is look at how interfaces are managed in NNMi 9.x - it's quite different to earlier releases. NNMi 9.x is much more based around rules for automated management, not lots of manual steps.

The default is to only manage "Connected" interfaces - i.e. those links between devices in NNMi. Not "Connected" as in just "link Up" - it must be connected to another device managed in NNMi.

You can of course change that default, but generally you only want to do this for specific groups of devices.

What I tend to do is create a group of interfaces that has a definition along the lines of "ifAlias like 'Uplink*'" - so then all we need to do is change the description on the interface on the switch, and it ends up in our Interface group. Then change the monitoring configuration for that specific Interface group, to tell NNMi to always monitor it, regardless of if it's connected to another SNMP device or not.

Now you just need to tell the network admins to set the interface description to the right format, and it will get monitored. You'll probably end up with several patterns you end up matching on. You'll also have a group of "critical" devices that you end up monitoring all interfaces, regardless of if they're up or down.

CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
girisha
Message 3 of 10 (791 Views)

Re: unmanaged interfaces from NNM 7.x and update the same interfaces as unmanaged in NNMi 9.20

But , our customer is having ~13000 devices and ~lakhs of interfaces , so we cant Individually unmanage the interfaces as it is going to take lot of time to update the same and for changing the description of interfaces they need to update description of each interfaces the number of interfaces are in Lakhs. I found a ways in getting the list,Please let me know whether it works,

get the list of interfaces which are unmanaged using command

ovtopodump | grep Unmanaged > unmanaged.txt , remove all the lines whose Ojbect ID doesnt contain the "/" in it,so will be filtering the nodes from the list.

after that ,write a script which executes the command ovobjprint.ovpl -o <ObjectID> and fetches the IP address and IfIndex from the output and creates a list called unmanagedinterface.txt and update a column called "UNMANAGED" to the list generated and feed this list to nnmmanagementmode.ovpl  <file containing the list> in NNmi 9.20 .

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 4 of 10 (781 Views)

If you've got that many nodes and interfaces, you're going to have to come up with a more scalable plan for managing interface management status.

If they've got that many nodes, presumably they have a reasonably high rate of change. What do they do with all the new devices that come in? Go in an un-manage them manually? You need to work out ways of automating it - that's what NNMi 9.x lets you do, if you can come up with the right rules. Then you don't need a large staff of minions to do the drudgery.

Obviously that doesn't help with your current position though.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
girisha
Message 5 of 10 (775 Views)

okay, Is there is any way which we can acheive the above thing.I have tried a lot of things to do it,but I didnt get any Idea.If you have any idea how can we acheive the above,Please share with me

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 6 of 10 (768 Views)

So where was the problem you were hitting? Was it in extracting a list of unmanaged nodes, or was it importing that list?

Importing it with nnmmanagementmode.ovpl looks pretty straightforward. Could you not get a valid list from the 7.x system?

Oh and what interface monitoring policy do you have in place on your 9.20 system? Are you managing unconnected interfaces? If you're not, then you may find that many of these interfaces aren't monitored anyway.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
girisha
Message 7 of 10 (764 Views)

The problem is in extracting the unmanaged interfaces from NNM 7.x . As you said loading to NNMi 9.20 is a straight forward thing. we are trying to extract a csv file in the format: Node IP address,ifindex,ifname from the NNM 7.x and append a column "NOT MANAGED" in the list and load using nnmmanagementmode.ovpl.

we are facing problem in extracting the csv file in the format specified above from the NNM 7.x

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 8 of 10 (761 Views)

girisha wrote:

we are trying to extract a csv file in the format: Node IP address,ifindex,ifname from the NNM 7.x and append a column "NOT MANAGED" in the list and load using nnmmanagementmode.ovpl.

we are facing problem in extracting the csv file in the format specified above from the NNM 7.x

So what commands have you tried, and what's wrong with the output? Missing interfaces, no interfaces, too many interfaces?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 9 of 10 (760 Views)

KM642873 has an example of a filter for finding managed interfaces per device. It should be trivial to change that to find unmanaged interfaces.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
girisha
Message 10 of 10 (745 Views)

I will try it and let you know

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation