oid_to_type; oid_to_sym; oid_to_sym_reg (76 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Matthew C._1
Message 1 of 7 (76 Views)

oid_to_type; oid_to_sym; oid_to_sym_reg

Am using NNM on HPUX. We are version 7.51. We use Advanced Edition with ET.

I am trying to figure out why devices aren't being populated with the proper icon in either Native View or HomeBase.

What I need to know are all the parts that need to be in place for the proper icon to be properly added to the map, so that I can figure out the issue.

There are some devices that do have the appropriate icon, so it is working for some. I just cant figure out why others won't work.

The devices have already been discovered and i have since made the appropriate changes to the oid_to_type and oid_to_sym while oid_to_sym_reg already had the devices listed.

This may simply be an issue of forcing an update. I have issued the ovdvstylereset for dynamic views, as suggested by the manpage, but the blank icon still exits.

I have also forced a full ET discovery, but the wrong icons still exist.

Any and all assistance will be appreciated.
Honored Contributor
Norm Diederich
Message 2 of 7 (76 Views)

Re: oid_to_type; oid_to_sym; oid_to_sym_reg

Matthew,

Did these devices have entries in oid_to_type and one of the files under oid_to_sym_reg?

If not, add the devices to the appriopriate file under oid_to_sym_reg and increase the version #. NNM will use the highest version of the associated file.

Also, is there actually a unique set of bitmaps for the device in question?

ovtopofix -uU with the sysObjectID will usually change the presentation in the ovw map.

Regards,
Norm
Occasional Contributor
Matthew C._1
Message 3 of 7 (76 Views)

Thanks.

I am most worried about home base at this point. Home Base, under device Details reveals:

SNMP Object Id: 1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.3.26.1

SNMP State: SNMP Agent is responding.

As I mentioned in the post, the data in the data files:

oid_to_sym:
1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.3.26.1:Connector:FN_FES4802S #Foundry Network FastIron Edge Switch(FES) 4802 Switch

oid_to_type:
1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.3.26.1:Foundry Networks:FN_FES4802S:B #Foundry Network FastIron Edge Switch(FES) 4802 Switch

oid_to_sym_reg\002_hp_Foundry:

1.3.6.1.4.1.1991.1.3.26.1:Connector:Foundry_generic #Foundry Network FastIron Edge Switch(FES) 4802

The graphic is a green Octagon, with nothing in it.

I have other devices, also listed in the OID files, that do have the appropriate graphics.

Within these three files, all the information is the same for the different OID's, so the generic green octagon should contain the proper graphic.

Unless, there is another place that I must look at.

Thanks again.

Matthew
Honored Contributor
Norm Diederich
Message 4 of 7 (76 Views)

Matthew,

If this is a new bitmap, try running imagemagic - check $OV_CONTRIB.

Regards,
Norm
Occasional Contributor
Matthew C._1
Message 5 of 7 (76 Views)

Norm,

imagemagic - check $OV_CONTRIB doesn't work. imagemagic is unknown.

This is not a new image either. As I said, it has been working for some devices. right now I am using the default image, only, which works.

Thanks again.

Matthew
Honored Contributor
Norm Diederich
Message 6 of 7 (76 Views)

Matthew,

The unix path is $OV_CONTRIB/NNM/ImageMagik

The windows path is %OV_CONTRIB%\NNM\ImageMagik

For unix you will need to place a shared library before you can use it.

On windows, you will have some problems if the install path includes spaces. Capture the failure execution and edit to quote (") the specified paths.

Is there a device specific image for the device in question or are you using an image previously defined for another device.

Regards,
Norm
Occasional Contributor
Matthew C._1
Message 7 of 7 (76 Views)

Final Solution was to restart NNM. We restarted a few days later and after the next discovery the appropriate values populated.

Thanks!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.