Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 1 of 4 (324 Views)

nodeup.ovpl

Hi Experts,

I am little confused with the nodeup configuration

I have configured the nodeup trap as suggested in the below link

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1108476

I want to understand what does nnmsnmpnotify.ovpl in the node up script will do and once we set the "Node Up" trap in the "Snmp Traps" with the OID something like  .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.17.1.100, does it generate node up trap from the node(device) to the nnmi server.

In order to receive the nodeup trap shoud I need to  disable the box called  "Discared Unresolved Snmp Traps "

Does this trap will get generated for all the devices.

Please advice.

HP Expert
Dave Young
Message 2 of 4 (256 Views)

Re: nodeup.ovpl

Hi,

The "nnmsnmpnotify.ovpl" script is used to generate an SNMP trap and to send it to the specified destination host, which in this example is the local machine.   It can be used to define all the aspects of the trap, from the OID to the community string to the varbinds and their values.

You need to configure this trap in NNMi in order to receive the trap and display it - which is the objective of this exercise.  Without this the NNMi paradigm is to simply close the Node Down incident.  Some users want to actually have a seperate Node Up trap that they then process or forward to other applications.

You will not need to uncheck the "Discard unresolved..." box because the orginal source address of the Node Down trap is passed into the script which then calls the nnmsnmpnotify.ovpl script with the "-a" option which sets the source of the trap to be the specified value  ie the original node.

Finally the trap is only sent from the command line to the local nnmi server via an internal socket connection.  Providing you don't restrict the configuration of the script that is run within the Node Down incident configuration the configuration will apply to all nodes in your topology.

I hope this answers your questions.

All the best

Dave Y

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 3 of 4 (244 Views)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information.

The trap OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.17.1.100 is meant for which device.

OID specified in the link (1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.17.1.100) is vendor-specific or it holds good for all devices.
HP Expert
Dave Young
Message 4 of 4 (232 Views)

Hi,

The trap OID used here could be anything.  I used this OID as an example and created it under the HP enterprise since its being generated and used within NNMi.  The trap can be used to refer to any device within the topology, the enterprise not  important here.  This is also in alignment with all the other NNMi generated incidents which have an HP enterprise OID.

The trap is simply being used to provide an incident to indicate a device has come back up and that can be displayed to the operators and forwarded to other applications if necessary.

All the best

Dave Y

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.