nnmcluster application failover failed to start on NNM9 (578 Views)
Valued Contributor
nicnictout
Message 1 of 4 (578 Views)
Accepted Solution

nnmcluster application failover failed to start on NNM9

Hello,

i configure an application failover on W2K8 for NNM9.23. All configurations steps were sucessfull, but when i launch the nnmcluster command, here the output:

Error: Exiting due to exception: org.jgroups.ChannelException: unable to setup the protocol stack

Both NNM are VM and in the same vlan, no firewall (even windows one is disable), no filter, no proxy...

Solution tested:

1) change the interface used in nnm-cluster-local.properties

2) reconfigure nnmcluster to used short name, because hostname command output the short name

Thx for your help

in log i found:

sept. 16, 2013 7:45:02.878 PM [ThreadID:1] CONFIG: null init: Logging Handler initialized to log to file pattern: "D:\NNM_Data\log\nnm\nnmcluster.%g.%u.log" up to a limit of 5 files of 4,8 MB each. Append to log until full:"false".
sept. 16, 2013 7:45:02.769 PM [ThreadID:10] CONFIG: com.hp.ov.nms.admin.nnmcluster.NnmClusterMgr main: Initializing NNM Cluster Manager with args null
sept. 16, 2013 7:45:03.268 PM [ThreadID:10] CONFIG: com.hp.ov.nms.admin.nnmcluster.config.ClusterProperties setupWanParams: Setting TCP initial_hosts to frghcswnnmv01[7800],frghcswnnmv02[7800]
sept. 16, 2013 7:45:03.752 PM [ThreadID:10] SEVERE: com.hp.ov.nms.admin.nnmcluster.NnmClusterMgr main: Exiting due to exception: org.jgroups.ChannelException: unable to setup the protocol stack : org.jgroups.ChannelException: unable to setup the protocol stack
at org.jgroups.JChannel.init(JChannel.java:1726)
at org.jgroups.JChannel.<init>(JChannel.java:247)
at org.jgroups.JChannel.<init>(JChannel.java:230)
at com.hp.ov.nms.admin.nnmcluster.NnmCluster.start(NnmCluster.java:287)
at com.hp.ov.nms.admin.nnmcluster.NnmClusterMgr.main(NnmClusterMgr.java:638)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Property assignment of bind_interface in TCP with original property value eth3 and converted to null could not be assigned
at org.jgroups.stack.Configurator.resolveAndAssignField(Configurator.java:1152)
at org.jgroups.stack.Configurator.createLayer(Configurator.java:444)
at org.jgroups.stack.Configurator.createProtocols(Configurator.java:393)
at org.jgroups.stack.Configurator.setupProtocolStack(Configurator.java:88)
at org.jgroups.stack.Configurator.setupProtocolStack(Configurator.java:55)
at org.jgroups.stack.ProtocolStack.setup(ProtocolStack.java:534)
at org.jgroups.JChannel.init(JChannel.java:1723)
... 4 more
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Conversion of bind_interface in TCP with original property value eth3 failed
at org.jgroups.conf.PropertyHelper.getConvertedValue(PropertyHelper.java:85)
at org.jgroups.stack.Configurator.resolveAndAssignField(Configurator.java:1146)
... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: bind_interface eth3 has incorrect IP version
at org.jgroups.util.Util.validateBindAddressFromInterface(Util.java:3307)
at org.jgroups.conf.PropertyConverters$BindInterface.convert(PropertyConverters.java:96)
at org.jgroups.conf.PropertyHelper.getConvertedValue(PropertyHelper.java:82)
... 11 more

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
Dave Young
Message 2 of 4 (536 Views)

Re: nnmcluster application failover failed to start on NNM9

Hello there,

The clue to the error is in the stack listing where it reports:

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Property assignment of bind_interface in TCP with original property value eth3 and converted to null could not be assigned

This is basically saying that it is trying to use the interface defined in the nms-cluster-local.properties file but it did not find an IP address associated with the interface  - for whatever reason.

Run the command "nnmcluster -interfaces" and you should get lines of output.  One will look something like:

Interface: eth3 Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection (unreachable)

don't worry about the ( unreachable ).

if you then cross check the interface names with the output of the "ipconfig /all" command you should be able to determine which interface has the IP address(s) bound to it and then determine the interface name in the first list by cross matching the interface names.   

Ensure this interface is in the file - make sure there is no trailing whitespace after it !!!   Then run "nnmcluster -daemon"   and see if the problem is resolved.

If its not then you might want to open a case with us so we can investigate deeper.

All the best

Dave Y

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
SYZonker
Message 3 of 4 (345 Views)

My issue is very similar.  In the log I se the same form of error:

Caused by: java.lang.Exception: Property assignment of bind_interface in TCP with original property value nxge0:2 and converted to null could not be assigned

The problem is my interface is named nxge0:1.  Not sure where nxge0:2 is coming from.

# ifconfig -a
lo0:2: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
nxge0:1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        inet x.x.x.x netmask ffffff00 broadcast x.x.x.255
#
# nnmcluster -interfaces
Interface: nxge0:1 (reachable)
Interface: lo0:2 (excluded)
Interface chosen: nxge0:1

Where can I re-configure nxge0:2 to be nxge0:1 ?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
SYZonker
Message 4 of 4 (341 Views)

I found it:

You need to edit

/var/opt/OV/conf/nnm/props/nms-cluster-local.properties

but I was looking in

/var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/conf/props/nms-cluster.properties

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation