change of ip address in "ovtopodump -RISC" (157 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Giuseppe Gammino_1
Message 1 of 4 (157 Views)

change of ip address in "ovtopodump -RISC"

(nnm 6.41 on a solaris 8 environment)
I try to explain my question by an example:
in this moment I have this situation regarding this node:

root@srvpls04:/StorageData/JK/NNM.MONITOR.INTF# ovtopodump -RISC bnc-crtn-vigomeano-crtrento-ne.bnc.it
OBJECT ID(S) OBJECT STATUS IP ADDRESS STATION
56542 IP bnc-crtn-vigomeano-crtrento-ne.bnc.it Normal 88.32.72.142 local
56542/56543 IP bnc-crtn-vigomeano-crtrento-ne.bnc.it Normal 192.168.219.27 local
56542/67099 IP bnc-crtn-vigomeano-crtrento-ne.bnc.it Normal 88.32.72.142 local

You can observe that the ip address nnm associates to the loopback is the first one, 88.32.72.142

But the ip address used when I discovered the node was different: 192.168.219.27 and it is the ip address associated in the DNS of the server to the node:

root@srvpls04:/StorageData/JK/NNM.MONITOR.INTF# nslookup bnc-crtn-vigomeano-crtrento-ne.bnc.it
Server: srvpls04.pls.it
Address: 217.59.106.6

Name: bnc-crtn-vigomeano-crtrento-ne.bnc.it
Address: 192.168.219.27

Of course, if I remove the node from NNM with the command ovtopofix -r, I can go back to the previous situation in wich the ovtopodump -RISC gave me the ip address 192.168.219.27 as the loopback of node, but after a while nnm automatically change the output of ovtopodump -RISC.

WHY???
Any suggestion to resolve the problem is welcome.

Thanks
Giuseppe
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Fat Scrape
Message 2 of 4 (153 Views)

Re: change of ip address in "ovtopodump -RISC"

Hi Giuseppe,

a) NNM uses the lowest ip of router or the hostname associated with the lowest numbered IP address which resolves to a name of router.

b)see netmon man page:
pickSnmpAddrPolls (netmon option in $OV_LRF/netmon.lrf file)

Controls whether netmon will attempt to test possible SNMP addresses for a device if the current address did not respond.
Allowed values are true (the default) or false. If the value is set to false, netmon will not attempt to test other addresses on a device if the SNMP address for a node
does not respond to an SNMP query, but will still pick another valid IP address on the device and assign it as the preferred SNMP address. However, when the value is set to
true, netmon will test the other addresses on the device to check if it responds to an SNMP query, before assigning it as the preferred SNMP address.

Regards,

Fat
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
vane71
Message 3 of 4 (80 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem with NNM 6.2, how do you resolved this problem???

The variable pickSnmpAddrPolls (netmon.lrf file) doesn't resolve the problem, or not?

Please, give me a solution!!!! 

Vanessa

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 4 of 4 (73 Views)

Whoah, you replied to a 7 year old thread looking for a solution for a product that went EOL/EOS in 2009.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation