Re: TopTools and NNM (84 Views)
Regular Advisor
CLK
Message 1 of 7 (84 Views)
Accepted Solution

TopTools and NNM

I have installed HP TopTools 4.5 for OpenView NNM. I am now receiving alarms from numerous devices (which I believe must be HP). These devices are not on the map, but keep reporting themselves as Up or Down. I do not want to see all of these HP devices, especially PCs and printers. Is there a way to filter out what I want TopTools to look at?
Occasional Advisor
Vicentiu Daniel Maxim
Message 2 of 7 (84 Views)

Re: TopTools and NNM

Look into your help TopTools...There are a lot of settings you can modify them...
Think straight and right to the point
Honored Contributor
Frank Saxton
Message 3 of 7 (84 Views)

You can create events for the devices you are not interested in and set the action to "log only". These traps will still be received by your management server but you won't have to look at the messages in your browser.
Regular Advisor
CLK
Message 4 of 7 (84 Views)

I know I can set the action to "log only", but my problem is lying in the fact that I am sending emails out when a node goes up or down. So when all of these devices report themselves through TopTools, emails are being sent. (which I don't want to happen on the nodes I don't care about)
Honored Contributor
Frank Saxton
Message 5 of 7 (84 Views)

I have my NNM configured to send e-mails, pages and so on. Obviously, not all node outages should be sent to the same people or handled identically. I have found creating events for various clusters of equipment the best way to go.
Occasional Contributor
Akash Shah
Message 6 of 7 (84 Views)

Hi,
When you install TopTools for NNM, the trap destination for all the HP nodes is set to the NNM machine. Events like NodeUp and NodeDown are not traps but status events, and these will come into nnm only if these nodes are managed(configured for config polling). In TopTools unfortunately there is no filtering (as far as I know) so your best bet is to filter these on NNM.
Hope this helps.

Thanks
Advisor
Chris Ruybal
Message 7 of 7 (84 Views)

If you have SNMP enabled devices on the network that you don't necessaraly want to recieve traps from you may want to simply remove the managment station from the list of trap destinations
HP TopTools and Layer2/3 Switch Support Agent
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.