Re: SNMP trap does not change Topology Map status (1219 Views)
Regular Advisor
David Pavlow
Message 1 of 18 (1,343 Views)

SNMP trap does not change Topology Map status

I am running NNM 9i on Solaris, how can I make a particular SNMP trap change the severity color on my topology map.  I am propagating the highest severity to the topology maps but my SNMP traps don't seem to impact that status.  All incidents are coming into the node incidents tab but the critical traps don't seem to impact the map.

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 2 of 18 (1,337 Views)

Re: SNMP trap does not change Topology Map status

I've had a support case open for almost 3 months asking the same question. No answer yet.

You would think this would be something completely trivial to do, but apparently not. Fundamentally I think it's a design philosophy issue - NNMi seems to be very much designed around managing a list of open incidents, as opposed to earlier versions, which were much more of a visual tool.

CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Regular Advisor
David Pavlow
Message 3 of 18 (1,321 Views)

I was afraid that would be the response I would receive.  I will also open a case with HP on this.  Thanks

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 4 of 18 (1,309 Views)

I got some feedback on my case yesterday - it looks like we need to use the SDK. Hoping to get some sample scripts.

Trusted Contributor
AlexanderH
Message 5 of 18 (1,289 Views)

Hopefully you will share the help you'll receive to us :) .

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 6 of 18 (1,287 Views)

Yep, will do - provided I do get something useful.

After being promised sample scripts, I then got pointed at a support doc that covers Pairwise config for custom traps. Not quite what I was looking for, so it's back with support now.

Trusted Contributor
hp4u
Message 7 of 18 (1,248 Views)

Hi,

I am also looking for the same thing,please share if any update :)

Regards,
hp4u
Regular Advisor
David Pavlow
Message 8 of 18 (1,238 Views)

I have had ticket open with support for over 2 weeks with no response. Very frustrating that out of the box I cannot send a custom trap to the Incident Browser and then trigger the Topology map on my dashboard. Our customer is considering looking at another NMS
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 9 of 18 (1,233 Views)

I've received these attached scripts, but I haven't yet had much more than a cursory look at them. When I get time, I'll try and get them working in my lab.

There's a Perl version and a Bash version. Depends on what OS you're using as to your options. If you're doing it on Windows, you might want to check through the ovpl one carefully. You'll need to rename the .ovpl script - this forum expects certain file extensions.

You'd set an action in your trap configurations, to call them to set a status, or remove it. If a node is already above the status you call, then nothing will happen.

You'd call them with something like this: 

addConclusion.sh –N <node> -s CRITICAL –c MyStatus

and

addConclusion.sh –N <node> -r –c MyStatus

These are completely unsupported - don't bother logging support cases for help with this. I have also been advised that as they are unsupported, there is no guarantee they will continue to work with future releases.

All that said, there's no reason we can't try and help each other out. It's probably going to be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to try these - if anyone does use them, and gets it working, please post back here, to let us know how it goes.

I've also logged an ER for this - I encourage others with support contracts to do the same. This is fairly basic product functionality that should exist in NNMi.

Regular Advisor
David Pavlow
Message 10 of 18 (1,229 Views)

Great info, I am out of town next week but looking forward to testing in my lab in the next few weeks. Will keep you posted
Honored Contributor
Ian_4
Message 11 of 18 (1,219 Views)

This not possible, enhancement request number QCCR1B47004 already exists.  

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 12 of 18 (1,213 Views)

So how do we go about raising the priority of that ER?

(At a minimum, the ER itself should be updated to include some relevant search terms - not everyone knows what 7.x setstatus was)

Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 13 of 18 (1,193 Views)

You have to open up a business escallation case to attempt to raise the priority of an ER.  Please dont try and compare 7.X and NNMi on a code basis  as its a complete rewrite. Functionality yes.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 14 of 18 (1,042 Views)

Just wanted to say that I have done some limited testing of these scripts, and it looks like they work as advertised. My testing was on a Linux box. Seems to do what it should

Advisor
MisterX
Message 15 of 18 (831 Views)

Hello - What does the -c MyStatus represent? trying to get this to work with NNMi 9.2 and W2008.
Advisor
MisterX
Message 16 of 18 (830 Views)

One more thing I get the error: 'wget' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Anyone see this before or have any idea what it is referring to?

Thanks!
Advisor
MisterX
Message 17 of 18 (829 Views)

wget was downloaded from sourceforge, so that issues is resolved. Still would like to know what -c "MyStatus" means

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 18 of 18 (820 Views)

-c is for 'conclusion' - you can set whatever conclusion you like. You can just make up a field here - the key is that you need to use the same argument to tie it together when you want to acknowledge the original incident.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.