Re: Question on how-to reload device profile in NNMi (456 Views)
Trusted Contributor
AlexanderH
Message 1 of 7 (507 Views)
Accepted Solution

Question on how-to reload device profile in NNMi

Hi everybody,

we had to manage some nodes of a type which had not been supported by NNMi in lower versions.

So, we've created device profiles on our own, using our own author attribute.

Now, with the latest patches NNMi supports that device type, too :) .

Here's the question:

while installing the patch NNMi did not overwrite (by intent) our owned profile because of the new author.

How can we change the profile to the one which NNMi now provides w/o having to remove/install the patch again?

Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Alexander

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
dieter boschung
Message 2 of 7 (465 Views)

Re: Question on how-to reload device profile in NNMi

Hi Alexander

I think one possible way would be to export the device profiles on a system without your self made device profiles using nnmconfigexport.ovpl -c device ...

Then make a backup on your system, delete your self made device profiles and restore the config export.

If you don't have a system available to export the device profiles, then I would suggest you open a case so we can do that for you. Please state the NNMi version and wanted patch level for the device profile export.

Kind regards,

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
AlexanderH
Message 3 of 7 (461 Views)

Hello Dieter,

unfortunately I do not own a plain NNMi system to export "raw" device profiles.

Ok then, I will open a support case for this issue to get an export of "standard device profiles" for NNMi 9.23 P4.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Alexander

btw: perhaps I should open an ER for this function (recreating standard configuration parts)  ?

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
dieter boschung
Message 4 of 7 (456 Views)

Hi Alexander

Yes, you may want to open an enhancement request for this.

Cheers

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 5 of 7 (446 Views)

As a rule before upgrading you should export all of your custom configurations by author and each custom device profile should have a unique author. After backing up those profiles, delete them before you upgrade. Selectively import only those profiles that dont exist in the new version.

Reading the release notes is a critical path item to evaluate before applying any patch or upgrade. If possible you should test the patch in a lab or non-production environment before touching your production system.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
AlexanderH
Message 6 of 7 (442 Views)

Hi Andy,

thx for your response.

Of course, every custom profile has got a special author assigned (my company's name). 

In fact this was the cause of my issue, because I did not compare the self defined profiles to the ones changed by the patch (my fault), although I did read the release notes.

So, I will open that mentioned case afterwards to get an export of a standard set of profiles.

Alexander

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
AlexanderH
Message 7 of 7 (416 Views)

..and of course the case helped with that issue :)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation