Re: Problems loading MERGEPOINT UNITY TRAP MIB (TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN) (841 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Ken Strauss_2
Message 1 of 7 (923 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problems loading MERGEPOINT UNITY TRAP MIB (TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN)

Can y'all help with this MIB?

Load MIB File user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN

Begin loading MIB module [MP-TRAP-MIB] from file user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN at 9:09:02 AM.

Could not load [MP-TRAP-MIB] MIB Module(s) from file user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN at 9:09:02 AM: com.hp.ov.nms.mib.MibLoadException: Failed to load MIB modules from [/var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN]: Failed to parse MIB modules using the supplied resources - invalid MIB file format. ERROR file:///var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN:61:1: Parse error: expecting "END", found 'UTF8String'

The vendor says thisis the only version they will supply.

I've attached the MIB for reference

Advisor
NNM_Duane
Message 2 of 7 (899 Views)

Re: Problems loading MERGEPOINT UNITY TRAP MIB (TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.ASN)

[ Edited ]

Hello Ken,

Thank you for posting your NNMi question on the forum.

There were a couple issues I found with the way this MIB was written in order to load within NNMi 9:

There was a missing entry in the IMPORTS section for "UTFString". I did some research and it appears this is defined in SYSAPPL-MIB as "Utf8String". So the new "IMPORTS" section looks like this (changes in Red):

MP-TRAP-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS

Gauge,enterprises,TimeTicks,IpAddress,Counter,NetworkAddress

FROM RFC1155-SMI

OBJECT-TYPE

FROM RFC-1212

DisplayString,PhysAddress

FROM RFC1213-MIB

Utf8String

FROM SYSAPPL-MIB

TRAP-TYPE

FROM RFC-1215;

I then changed all occurrences of "UTF8String" to "Utf8String" to match the above definition, then saved and closed. I also renamed the file with a ".mib" extension just for clarity.

You then need to load rfc2287-SYSAPPL-MIB.mib and then finally the TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib file. If all went well the results should be:

Successfully completed operation LoadMib.

53 MIB Variables were loaded.

77 Traps were loaded.

So the MIB appears to load fine now from a syntax point of view. I suggest you contact the MIB supplier and discuss these changes with them to make sure this is what they intended and so they can make any changes accordingly.

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Trusted Contributor
Ken Strauss_2
Message 3 of 7 (883 Views)

Duane,

We've already heard back form the vendor and they are not willing to change the MIB in any way whatsoever.....

I made the changes to TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib you recommended

Successfully loaded the attached rfc2287-SYSAPPL-MIB.mib.

But the modified TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mibfailed to load.

Load MIB File user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib

Begin loading MIB module [MP-TRAP-MIB] from file user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib at 1:28:51 PM.

Could not load [MP-TRAP-MIB] MIB Module(s) from file user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib at 1:28:51 PM: com.hp.ov.nms.mib.MibLoadException: Failed to load MIB modules from [/var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib]: Failed to parse MIB modules using the supplied resources - invalid MIB file format. ERROR file:///var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib:751:7: Parse error: unexpected token: --#

Regular Advisor
4Adam12
Message 4 of 7 (872 Views)

it is helpful to understand the error they are showing you

ERROR file:///var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/user-snmp-mibs/TRAP-MIB.AVO_9-21-09.mib:751:7

751:7 = line:char

in this case it is weird because this is a comment line "--" and it already got past a couple before that line.

748      --#SUMMARY "The appliance is rebooting. Command issued by user: %s."
749      --#ARGUMENTS { 0 }
750      --#SEVERITY INFORMATIONAL
751      --#FACILITY KERNEL
752      --#CATEGORY "Status Events"
753      --% TrapTypeEnum=5

It would be some work but you could try to surround this by the block comment "/* - */"

/*
      --#SUMMARY "The appliance is rebooting. Command issued by user: %s."
      --#ARGUMENTS { 0 }
      --#SEVERITY INFORMATIONAL
      --#FACILITY KERNEL
      --#CATEGORY "Status Events"
      --% TrapTypeEnum=5
*/

looks like a lot of traps to manually do this on so maybe just run it through grep -v -- and try to load the mib with all comments removed.

If you load many vendor mibs you might as well learn asn1 syntax because you'll be fixing a lot of them to load in NNMi9 (even if they loaded fine in previous NNM versions). Usually it seems to be a need to correct the imports section like Duane did.

Honored Contributor
dieter boschung
Message 5 of 7 (867 Views)

The problem here is that "--#FACILITY KERNEL" is an invalid trap directive and the mib loader cannot handle this.

You would need to remove all the invalid trap directives from the MIB file.

We do have an enhancement request open to have the mib loader ignore all invalid trap directives.

QCCR1B105181: mib loader needs to ignore unknown trap directives in trap-type

Above CR should be visible on the HP SSO portal shortly.

BR

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Regular Advisor
4Adam12
Message 6 of 7 (851 Views)

ignoring invalid directives would be good also but why is it not respeting the comment indicator --?
are any of the previous directives in the block valid? If so that might be good information for us admins to have.

Trusted Contributor
Ken Strauss_2
Message 7 of 7 (841 Views)

Removing all the comments as suggested was tedious but it allowed me to load the MIB!!!!

Thanks for the help

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.