Re: Pingcheck through NNMi 9.20 (413 Views)
Regular Advisor
Ad1t1a99
Message 1 of 6 (479 Views)

Pingcheck through NNMi 9.20

I have some Light-weight access points in my environment. Network team wants me to deploy ping-checks on it using NNMi 9.20. I can do it with ICMP polling. They can't enable SNMP configuration on these access points.

But my question at first place, are non-SNMP devices react faithfully to ICMP checks by NNMi?  Can I configure management events for such nodes.

Regards,

Aditi

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 2 of 6 (463 Views)

Re: Pingcheck through NNMi 9.20

Yes, you can monitor devices via ICMP only. You might just need to check your monitoring policies. Obviously there's not a lot of information you can get out of them!

It depends a bit on your network, but monitoring APs via ICMP can be problematic. One challenge some customers face is the use of DHCP for APs. Since the IPs can change, it can make monitoring tricky.

What you might want to investigate is monitoring the controllers, and getting SNMP traps from the controllers. The controllers should have a better view of the status of the Access Points, and you might be able to get more meaningful data from the SNMP traps they generate if an AP goes offline.

It's a shame that HP doesn't (as far as I know) offer good out of the box integration with the wireless controllers, as this is a common network requirement.

CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Ad1t1a99
Message 3 of 6 (436 Views)

I understand your point, but they are still insistent. The WAPs have static IP, that may help a bit. 

I was trying to observe some devices in NNMi , for  which SNMP configuration has not been enabled. So, technically, they are just on ICMP polling. But even if they go down, management events don't get generated for them, which may be understandable too due to non-SNMP configuration.

Is there a  way out to generate incidents for such cases?

Regards,

Aditi

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 4 of 6 (431 Views)

You should be getting incidents generated. I do. What do see happening to the node status when you shut it down?

What polling policies do you have for non-SNMP nodes?
CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Ad1t1a99
Message 5 of 6 (420 Views)

I tested a few devices for ICMP polling on two different servers to compare the results.

1. Got Node-Down alerts for the nodes.

2. Status changed to Unknown/ Unmanageable nodes for a few cases, no incidents were generated and status became normal when the node came up.

3.  Status changed to Unknown/ Unmanageable nodes for a few cases, then Node-down incidents were generated and the status became normal when the node came up.

This clearly means that the monitoring policoes are ok. One of the factors producing variability is polling interval.

Regards,

Aditi

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
fariassolis
Message 6 of 6 (413 Views)

Hello ADT

How are you doing , I hope everythig is going well, I would like  to invite you to the new internal HP forum .http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Node-Manager-Support/bd-p/network-node-mgr-support-cust-forum

Basically when nodes are unknown this is because the there are island nodes or  because the root device  is down so NNMi will  add all the devices behind that  specific like unknown.

So basically if a node is in unknown state this will not generate any alert. if  some nodes are really critical and you want to know the status, you can add these particular devices in the important nodes nodegroup.

You can probably would like to check how the  the causal engine work in NNMI so you can have a better idea how NNMI declare a node as nodedown or unknow state.

Please check the following information,

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1459502

All the best!

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution,If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation