NNMi9 loopback monitoring (282 Views)
Regular Advisor
Rcky Mntere
Message 1 of 5 (282 Views)
Accepted Solution

NNMi9 loopback monitoring

Just installed NNMi9.01 onto REHL 5.x server.  READ: NEWBIE......
I used the seed gui to load a single test router which it found.

Unfortunately NNMi9 loaded the device using the Lo1 interface instead of the intended and desired Lo0 interface. What is unusual is that the Lo0 Interface IP is the ONLY one listed in DNS.

My Question: Is it possible to force NNMi9 to use a specific IP address (interface) in similar fashion that we used in NNM 7.5x with loadhosts?

I have 2000 routers/gateways that are all listed in DNS with their Lo0 interface IP NOT the L01 interface IP; as well as many other hosts using the Vlan1 or Vlan100 interface IP as THE definitive DNS record.

I would like to ensure NNMi ALWAYS uses the DNS record IP/interface for the primary interface for monitoring (ping & snmp).

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
DJ Hogeweg
Message 2 of 5 (282 Views)

Re: NNMi9 loopback monitoring

Hi,

Yes you can tell NNMi to use specific IP addresses but it's difficult to relate this to DNS resolving of this IP address. The way to achieve this is to prepare your discovery configuration and communication configuration carefully. Try to understand the concepts and the consequences of your configuration. For instance if you define a default community string for your whole infrastructure NNMi technically can use this for every IP address and use this found address with it's corresponding interface as management address.

The best approach is to limit your dicovery and communication configuration based on your IP address scheme to you management IP addresses only. (Note: NNMi no longer uses ICMP polling by default but SNMP polling)

For "Communication Configuration" use "Regions" to define rules for the NNMi communication with your devices (including SNMP community strings). You can use here host filtering, maybe this is entry is a way to tackle your problem. Disable "Enable SNMP Address Rediscovery" at Communication Configuration.

For "Discovery Configuration" you can follow two ways. Use static list-based discovery, controlled by defining only seeds (these seeds can be dns names). Or you can use auto-discovery based on rules where you supply again only your management IP addresses (wildcard filtering is possible).

Success,

DJ

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Mahmoud_Ibrahim
Message 3 of 5 (282 Views)

Hi,

My Question: Is it possible to force NNMi9 to use a specific IP address (interface) in similar fashion that we used in NNM 7.5x with loadhosts?

Answer to this question is yes

under "Communication Configuration" -> Specific Node Settings you can add the value of Preferred Management Address

Regards,

Mahmoud Ibrahim

http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com

Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim
http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com
  • Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • Please use plain text.
    Respected Contributor
    asoloperto
    Message 4 of 5 (282 Views)

Hello,

in NNMi 9.10 you can define which interface should be used for management. This is one little new feature of version 9.10.

BTW: please read the release notes and support matrix very good before upgrading and please notice that the GUI has changed its look and feel (which I have not found in the "What is new section" of the release notes).

HTH

Allessandro

Please use plain text.
    Regular Advisor
    Rcky Mntere
    Message 5 of 5 (282 Views)

Once I removed the 9.0 installation and installed the new 9.1 version it behaved as expected. Also there is a configuration window to set this (use seed interface) as well as use higher number interface or lowered number interface.  This was added in the 9.1 release.

Please use plain text.
    The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation