Re: [NNMi] Email notification (2309 Views)
Occasional Advisor
bosseur974
Message 1 of 26 (3,733 Views)
Accepted Solution

[NNMi] Email notification

Hi,
I'm a beginner on NNM and I would like to send an email automatically when an incident are registered. I use NNMi 9.00 on RedHat 5.6.
Can everyone help me to configure this please.
Thanks

Trusted Contributor
Mahmoud_Ibrahim
Message 2 of 26 (3,733 Views)

Re: [NNMi] Email notification

Hi bosseur,

For notification, you have many options,
enabled automatic action for the alert to send email or NNMi comes with a free license for notificatio program called xMatters Lite (alarmpoint) http://www.xmatters.com/products/it-professionals/ mainly from https://connect.xmatters.com/products/alarmpoint-product-suite/index.html

You can download it from this link and it has a detailed guide with the source DVD

http://info.xmatters.com/hplite.html

Regards,

Mahmoud Ibrahim

http://www.mahmoudthoughts.com

---

• Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
  • Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
Regards,
Mahmoud Ibrahim

• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
  • Occasional Advisor
    bosseur974
    Message 3 of 26 (3,732 Views)

Thanks for your quickly answer :smileyhappy: but do you have a solution who use the command "mail" or "mailx" I prefer. While waiting for I test the xmatter solution.

Regards

Trusted Contributor
    Mahmoud_Ibrahim
    Message 4 of 26 (3,733 Views)

Hi bosseur,

That was the 1st part of the answer:

---
    For notification, you have many options,
    enabled automatic action for the alert to send email

----

1. Open incident configuration
    2. Go to -> Action Configuration TAB
    3. Create New one with Lifecycle state set to Registered and Command Type set to ScriptOrExecutable
    4. Add command to send e-mail:

Type your command here

Regards,

Mahmoud Ibrahim

---

Regards,
    Mahmoud Ibrahim

• Occasional Advisor
    bosseur974
    Message 5 of 26 (3,733 Views)

Thank you very much.

I inform you of the progress.

Best regards

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 6 of 26 (3,733 Views)

You may also want to limit which nodes the emails are being sent for. If this is the case, you could create a node group containing only those nodes, and then create a node-based action, rather than a general action, on the incidents you want to email.

I, BTW, generally use blat.exe when sending emails from NNMi, but obviously this is just one out of many alternatives.

BR,
    Frank W. Mortensen
    http://www.managon.com

The views expressed in my contributions are both my own and my company's, as we are one :smileyhappy:

Occasional Advisor
    bosseur974
    Message 7 of 26 (3,732 Views)

Hi Frank,

I can't use Blat because I'm on RedHat, but I make a bash script who works with mailx. This script is working on the command line interface but I don't manage to put it on NNM. Could you help me to configure the NNM to use my script please?

Thank you in advance

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 8 of 26 (3,733 Views)

A very common mistake, IME, is that people add automatic actions to NNMi but forget to check the "Enable" field at the top of the Action page.

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 9 of 26 (3,732 Views)

Furthermore, if the action is in fact enabled, have a look at the logfiles in the $nnmdatadir/log/nnm directory. I usually look at the last update timestamp of the files, to see which would be worth opening.

When I test incident based actions, I do this by manually changing the lifecycle state of an incident that should trigger the action. I.e. setting it to closed, then changing it back to registered. Rather than waiting for a new incident to happen, or trying to generate them from the command line. Just a little testing tip :smileyhappy:

Trusted Contributor
    Mahmoud_Ibrahim
    Message 10 of 26 (3,733 Views)

Hello,

Copy your script to the nnm actions folder /var/opt/OV/ shared/nnm/actions/

In the Incident Configuration type the command directly without absolute path and pass the parameters as needed using Custom Incident Attributes as needed.

Regards,
    Mahmoud Ibrahim
    ---
    Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
    Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
    Regards,
    Mahmoud Ibrahim

• Valued Contributor
    Sven Hruza
    Message 11 of 26 (3,710 Views)

Is your script set to executable for everyone?

Maybe it is a problem with the permissions to the script.

I put the full path in the command field in the action folder.

Command type is "scriptorexecutable"

Sven

Occasional Advisor
    bosseur974
    Message 12 of 26 (3,712 Views)

Hello everybody!

My email notification is works!!!

The solution is:

Go to "Incident Configuration" --> "Management Event" --> Select the Event --> Select "Node Setting" tab --> Open the Node Group --> Select "Actions" tab

Now create a new action, choose a lifecycle state and a Command Type (ScriptOrExecutable for me)

In the Command field type the command, for example: /var/opt/OV/shared/nnm/actions/email_alert.sh "NNM Alert" email@address.ent $snn

My script email_alert.sh:

#!/bin/bash

###########################################################

SUBJECT=$1

TO=$2

EQUIPMENT=$3

MESSAGE="/tmp/message.txt"

echo "Incident!!!" > $MESSAGE

echo "On $EQUIPMENT" >> $MESSAGE

mail -s "$SUBJECT" "$TO" < $MESSAGE

###########################################################

You can make the test with this command: /var/opt/shared/nnm/actions/email_alert.sh "Your email subject" "Your@email"

If you receive the mail you can test it with NNM. Don't forget configure "mail" program before make this test :smileywink:

Thanks everybody for your help,

I remain available for all request!

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 13 of 26 (3,711 Views)

I recognize the good feeling when things work after inital struggling :smileyhappy:

Honored Contributor
    Jozef_Hitzinger
    Message 14 of 26 (3,711 Views)

Guys, I'm missing something, at the "Select the Event" step. Which event? Obviously we'd like to get e-mail notification for ALL incidents, so picking any specific one of the many predefined ones seems a bad idea. If I try to create new one, the dialog lists "SNMP Object ID   .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.17.19.2.0.9999". Hmmm.

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 15 of 26 (3,711 Views)

Hi

Using this approach, you would have to configure it on an incident by incident basis. But if you want a more general forwarding of all/many incidents, you are probably better off investigating the xMatters Lite alternative.

The problem with this alternative, though, seems to be that you will not be able to use NNMi's own way of identifying a group of nodes (i.e. node groups).

Frank

Honored Contributor
    Jozef_Hitzinger
    Message 16 of 26 (3,711 Views)

Thanks for the hint, but 3rd party stuff is out of the equation here. Let me rephrase it:

OK, so we have this nice big NNMi thing monitoring the network. When something happens, anything, we want to get notified, as the staff has better things to do than constantly staring at NNMi maps. Basic e-mail is fine, operator will lookup the details in NNMi map when notified ... So where can I put that e-mail? Individually into tens to hundreds of each and every possible Incident type?? Please say I'm wrong on this one ... ;-)

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 17 of 26 (3,711 Views)

Be prepared that 3rd party solutions or in-house scripting/programming are the only alternatives..

Let's see what others answer. Perhaps there is a miracle man or woman out there, who knows something that we don't..

Frank

Honored Contributor
    Jozef_Hitzinger
    Message 18 of 26 (3,711 Views)

Ok. There's not that much scripting for "send me an e-mail". But first there needs to be a sane way to hook the script into NNMi for "all incidents, thank you". I thought I was missing something obvious in the docs, but maybe it really isn't there. Thanks!

Honored Contributor
    Frank-MANAGON
    Message 19 of 26 (3,711 Views)

There is a webservice interface that can be used, and your script could also fetch stuff directly from the database, using ODBC.

Good luck

Frank

Occasional Collector
    vrosic
    Message 20 of 26 (3,454 Views)

hello all,

I hope that someone is still watching this thread.

I have configured blat and email.ovpl to work properly and I receive e-mails properly.

But, my problem is when I try to configure sending e-mails to several e-mails. I created node group 1 (contains all routers) and node group 2 (contains several routers). I want NNM (blat/email.ovpl) to send e-mail company1 (which have access to all routers) and to company2 (which has access to several routers) when incident occurs in group of several routers.

I went to Incidents - Snmp Trap Configurations - opened incident - node settings.

- Under Node group i added group1 and defined "group1.ovpl $firstOccurrenceTime $name $priority $severity $managementAddress $sourceNodeName $sourceObjectName" under actions (lifecycle state registered, and command type scriptOrExecutable.); ordering is 1

- Under Node group i added group2 and defined "group2.ovpl $firstOccurrenceTime $name $priority $severity $managementAddress $sourceNodeName $sourceObjectName" under actions (lifecycle state registered, and command type scriptOrExecutable.); ordering is 1

when incident occurs, e-mail is sent only to group1@e-mail.com and I don't receive anything to group2@e-mail.com

Regular Advisor
    Navarath
    Message 21 of 26 (3,439 Views)

how come the ordering is 1 for both the node groups???

Occasional Collector
    vrosic
    Message 22 of 26 (3,435 Views)

Actually I tried everything and also changing numbers of ordering :|
    Pramodjain
    Message 23 of 26 (2,519 Views)

HI, Can some help me with bat script which can be use for send mail alert from NNMI.

Valued Contributor
    bebu
    Message 24 of 26 (2,509 Views)

Hi,

If you are using windows environment, you could use blat file to send email notification using SMTPserver, refer balt.net.

//Bebu

Frequent Advisor
    Message 25 of 26 (2,309 Views)

Hello,
    Dear i am facing the same issue nnmi 9 in windows2008, can you send me your full script and steps how to do that to send only email.

thanks.
    The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.