NNMi 9.01 custom polling for juniper netscreen CPU utilization (336 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Moehsan
Message 1 of 4 (336 Views)

NNMi 9.01 custom polling for juniper netscreen CPU utilization

[ Edited ]

I have nnmi 9.01 and I want to monitor juniper netscreen (juniperNetscreenNs5000) and I did all the configuration for the custom poll but nothing appeared on the screen & i adjust the threshold to 1 and no incident generated.

I did snmpwalk on the specific oid and it returns with a value the oid I need to monitor is .1.3.6.1.4.1.3224.16.1.2

can anyone help me to know what is the problem?

Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 2 of 4 (325 Views)

Re: NNMi 9.01 custom polling for juniper netscreen CPU utilization

Its analogous to eating an elephant, its possible but only one bite at a time.

It has to be done in a specific order and there are things to check at each step

1. Create the mib expression you want to collect. It can be a single OID, or a computation based on one or more OIDs.

To check use a mib browser to collect each component OID and then plug it into any associated formula for a sample result. Keep this handy, you'll use it later.

2. Create the  Custom poller collection  and specify if you want it to affect the node status and generate incident (check boxes). You'll select the Mib expresion you create in 1 (if you skip 1 and proceed here directly you can create the mib expression here as well with the "New" option). You'll need to select either the hard value thresholds that represent the values you dont want to exceed or drop below OR create a comparison map with the exact values you're looking to match or cross for specific error levels.

3. Create a policy which will apply the Custom Poller Collection to a node group and run it at the time interval you specify.

After you set the policy to "active" there are two locations to check for the results:

1.  Monitoring Workspace-> Custom Node Collections   This lists each node a custom polling policy has been applied to and the current results per policy

2.  At the node level. Tools-Find Node , look at the Custom Polled Instances tab.

There are some obvious error messages that will show up on these screens if it cant collect the values , like Failed or Unsupported.

So yes theres possible help, but there are quite a few things to check.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Occasional Contributor
Moehsan
Message 3 of 4 (318 Views)

thanks Andy but i already did all of that but i couldn't find any polling nstances related to this collection & also no error message.

Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 4 of 4 (313 Views)

If you look at Configuration->Monitoring->Custom Poller Confirguration and open up the policy you created, what does it look like ?  I'm asking because if it did execute, there would be at least an error message if not a success.

I've attached some samples of how things should look

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.