Re: NNMi 8 - Custom Poller (274 Views)
Regular Advisor
AKUK
Message 1 of 7 (274 Views)
Accepted Solution

NNMi 8 - Custom Poller

I have a customer requesting to monitor CRC Errors on a Cisco router and since this is my first time using the Custom Poller, I followed the instructions in "Online Help: Custom Poller for Administrators".

I managed also to find the OID (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.12) and the MIB (OLD-CISCO-INTERFACES-MIB.mib) I need in order to poll for CRC Errors.

I've uploaded the MIB and logged on NNM and navigated to Configuration -> Custom Poller Configuration and enabled Custom Poller and added a new Custom Poller Collection. under variable, I've provided the MIB Poll Variable as (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.12).

The router in question has 9 interfaces and I need only to poll one interface. How can I specify which interface should the Custom Poller poll?
Regular Advisor
AKUK
Message 2 of 7 (274 Views)

Re: NNMi 8 - Custom Poller

Please see attached screenshot
Trusted Contributor
Aaron  Laing
Message 3 of 7 (274 Views)

Because the variable has multiple instances, you will need to specify a MIB Filter variable in addition to the MIB Poll Variable. This would likely be either an ifIndex or ifDescription variable.

Then, when you define the Custom Poller policies, you will put in a match condition that matches the specific instance(s) you want. If you filter on ifIndex, you will use an integer value or range as your MIB Filter condition. If you used ifDescr as your filter, then you would use a text pattern match as your MIB Filter condition.

Hope this helps,
Aaron
Regular Advisor
AKUK
Message 4 of 7 (274 Views)

In Custom Poller Policy, how do I go about selecting a single node to apply the policy?

Do I need to create a node group with the desired node???

Thanx.
Trusted Contributor
Aaron  Laing
Message 5 of 7 (274 Views)

Yes, you will need to create a node group, as that is the only way to assign a specific polling configuration.

Aaron
Regular Advisor
AKUK
Message 6 of 7 (274 Views)

Aaron, thank you for your continued contribution to this post.

I have followed your instructions and if you may, I've attached screenshots of my configuration.

For the "Custom Poller Policy", I've created a node group called "RYNCCI13R01" which contains a single node (RYNCCI13R01). For the "MIB Filter", 9 is the interfaces number (Name/OID: ifIndex.9; Value (Integer): 9).
Please provide comments where necessary.
Thanx in advance.
Regular Advisor
AKUK
Message 7 of 7 (274 Views)

Works just fine as per my configuration.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.