NNM can't connect to the snmp agent (50 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Francisco Quiroz Collaz
Message 1 of 7 (50 Views)
Accepted Solution

NNM can't connect to the snmp agent

I?m installing NNM 5.01 with Solaris 2.6. In the step for ?set up NNM environment ? I have the problem that the NNM system can?t connect to the SNMP agent. I have the following messages.

# snmpnext MYHOST system.sysObjectID
snmpnext: No response arrived before timeout.
snmpnext: Possible causes include invalid community name, agent is not running, or the node is unaccessible.

# snmpget 127.0.0.1 system.sysDescr.0
snmpget: No response arrived before timeout.
snmpget: Possible causes include invalid community name, agent is not running, or the node is unaccessible.

I?m sure the snmpd is running, several times I reinitiates the snmpd, and the messages are the same.

the file snmpd.conf only have a line:
get-community-name: public

Any idea?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Davide Mascolo
Message 2 of 7 (50 Views)

Re: NNM can't connect to the snmp agent

try with get-community-name:
let it blank...

Hope that can help you
Davide
Tech Support Engineer
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Antonio Valle_1
Message 3 of 7 (50 Views)

Also, you can check if the snmp daemon is listening on the udp port 161.

#netstat -an | grep 161
udp 0 0 *.161 *.*

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Rich Propst
Message 4 of 7 (50 Views)

Francisco,

Which snmpd is actually running? Sun's default daemon is called snmpdx and the one provided with NNM is snmpdm. Each may have it's own snmpd.conf file floating around in /etc. Sun's is usually in /etc/snmp/conf while the NNM agent is usually /etc/snmp.conf. Make sure you have the right agent running and you're looking at the correct snmpd.conf file for it.

Rich
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Francisco Quiroz Collaz
Message 5 of 7 (50 Views)

I think the problem is with the snmp demons. Both Solaris and NNM snmp demons tries to run when the machines restarts. First the NNM snmpd runs, then the Solaris snmpdx tires too, but the port 161 is busy, then the last one can?t run.

But the problem changes, whit the NNM snmp agent running the ovstart doesn?t work is like idle, and the NNM can?t connect to the agent, it is the same problem I expose yesterday.

Finally I found a way to run the ovstart, I need to kill the process of the NNM snmp, initiates the Solaris snmpdx, reinitiates the NNM snmpd, and then run the ovstart. Other way ovstart doesn?t work property.

Maybe I need a patch for either Solaris or NNM , an other ideas?

PD thank for the Help Davide, Antonio and Rich
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Christoph Rothe
Message 6 of 7 (50 Views)

Hi,

wouldn't it be easier if you just looked in one snmpd.conf and changed one daemon's port to e.g. 8161 ?

Christoph
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Rich Propst
Message 7 of 7 (50 Views)

Is there really any point in running both daemons? I usually just remove the Sun snmpdx startup files from rc2.d and go with the NNM daemon.

As far as patches go, the latest NNM on Solaris patches for 5.01 are PSOV_02468, PSOV_02707, and PSOV_02732. 02468 is the really important one. These are available at http://ovweb.external.hp.com:80/cpe/patches/nnm/5.0x/sparc_2.X.html.

You can use patchdiag to check the Solaris patches. Be sure to go to Sun site to get the latest patchdiag info.

Rich
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation