NNM Nodes and Interfaces show No Status (926 Views)
Frequent Visitor
Smoothuser
Message 1 of 10 (926 Views)
Accepted Solution

NNM Nodes and Interfaces show No Status

HP Network Node Manager v9.20

We have NNM installed and able to display a network map but not show any status for any node or interfaces. Even though both the "Administrative State" and "Operational State" columns show a status of "Up" or "Down", this status is not reflected in the "Status" column. See attached image for the "No Status" message we are getting.

I have tried troubleshooting related to other HP NNM support forum topics. (see links below). However in all the cases I've come across, they are able to see a status other than "No Status" in the "Status" column, which has not been the case for our system.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Management-OpenView-NNM/NNM-Some-Interfaces-are-not-showing-Sta...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Management-OpenView-NNM/Interface-quot-No-Status/td-p/5955347

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I can attempt? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 2 of 10 (887 Views)

Re: NNM Nodes and Interfaces show No Status

Dan,

It could be a problem with the global monitoring settings.

Please go to Inventory > Nodes (or even Inventory > Interfaces).

Highlight any one that is showing no-status, then click on Actions > Configuration > Monitoring Settings, and Communication Settings.

Please attach both screenshots to the post (you may blot out the IP and hostnames).

Please also attach the output of "ovstatus -v".

In addition to this, please mentioned the exact NNMi version with patch level.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Smoothuser
Message 3 of 10 (875 Views)

Mohit,

Thanks for the reply. See attached files for the output of what you requsted in the previous post.

The most detailed version of HP NNMi I can find is 9.20.000. Not sure if there is a
command for specific Patch Level (I couldn't find one for Windows). I did attach a screenshot of the 'Help > System Information > Component Versions' screen.

Thanks for your help and please let me know what you find.

-Dan

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 4 of 10 (863 Views)

Dan,

From the data attached, here are my findings. Please go through all points before trying something:

>>NNMi version seems to be 9.20, no patches. You may use the command "nnmversion.ovpl" to get the version details.

If it indeed shows "no patches", you might want to update the software to the latest patch (downloadable from http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/patches).

>>ovstatus output shows that the service NNMAction exited abruptly, with an exit code of 1. There could be many reasons for this. The NNMi logs would be needed. I will try and narrow it down to listing the actual file where a log message might hold a clue on why NNMAction terminated.

>>As a hail-Mary-pass, you may try this:

*execute "ovstop -v", wait for the command to do its thing, and exit

*check the Task Manager (I am making this assumption that you are having NNMi on Windows by looking at the screenshots) to see nothing related to HP NNMi is running (in the Task Manager go to View > Select Columns > choose "Command Line", and check nothing is running from the "../HP/HP BTO Software/" path).

*execute "ovstart -v", and see what the command throws up

*execute "ovstatus -v" to see if all services came up ok

>>Is this a first time install, did this ever work? If it was working earlier, does anything come to mind, a change maybe, on the server, or an OS setting change, that may have caused NNMAction to fail?

>>What is the service listening on port UDP 162 of this server?

You can try "netstat -ano | findstr 162".
Ideally, you should see the PID of ovjboss.exe bound to this port.

If something is wrong, Windows SNMPD (snmp.exe) may be listening to this port, blocking NNMi.

>>Are you able to highlight any such node/interface and do a status poll? If yes, does it fail, or pass. A screenshot, or text output of this op would be helpful.

I am almost certain that it is the NNMAction service that needs to be fixed, and then everything else will fall into place.

Please check on these fronts, more technical recommendations will follow.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Smoothuser
Message 5 of 10 (848 Views)

Mohit,

Thanks for the timely response. Here are the results of your suggestions:

1.>>The output of the 'nnmversion.ovpl' command states, 'NNM 9.20 - No patches listed'. The
output of this command is the same as a similar system running without this problem (See response
#4 below).

2.>> waiting for more info

3.>>Restarting the services did not change the 'Status' column in HP NNM console (i checked right
after restarting the services and again ~1 hour later. After restarting the services, the 'nnmaction' service was 'RUNNING' with a last message of 'Initialization complete.'

The 'nnmaction' service ran for exactly 5 minutes before stopping. Reviewing the Windows System
event logs, shows 'HP NNM Action Server service entered the running state' at 3:50:48 and then
'HP NNM Action Server service entered the stopped state.' at 3:55:48. I tried this a second time
and the issue persisted. The server Operating System has been rebooted multiple times since this
issue was present.

I did run a 'Actions > Polling > Status Poll' operation on a Node while the 'nnmaction' service
was still running but did not update the 'Status' column.

4.>>This is a first time install on this system, however it has been installed on 2 identical
(hardware/software) servers on this system and both experience the same problem. They are all
running on Windows Server 2008R2.

We have it installed on a similar "sister" system with identical hardware/software but slightly
different configuration. This problem is NOT being experienced on that system, and we have
verified the product was configured the same (from what we can tell).

5.>>See attached file 'HPNNM_netstat_1.txt' for the netstat output on the non-working and another
working server. A service called pmd.exe *32 is listening on TCP port 162 on both. However on the
working server 'ovjboss.exe' pid is 'ESTABLISHED' on port 162, is this what you mean by bound?

6.>>Attached is 'Status_Poll_Output_1.jpg' which is the output of an 'Actions > Polling > Status
Poll' operation on one of the affected nodes.

Please let me know what you think of my results. I will look for more detailed logs for the
'nnmaction' service stopping. I am also looking into our server settings between the working system and the non-working system.

Thanks,
Dan

Please use plain text.
HP Expert
fariassolis
Message 6 of 10 (842 Views)

Hello Community

Please visit our new customer forum if you have a valid SAID  support contract at the following link.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Node-Manager-Support/bd-p/network-node-mgr-support-cust-forum#....

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution,If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS and show your appreciation.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 7 of 10 (829 Views)

Hello,

From the netstat output given:

Non working server:

netstat -ano |findstr 162

TCP 0.0.0.0:162 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 11936
UDP 0.0.0.0:162 *:* 13396
UDP 0.0.0.0:53162 *:* 2444
UDP 0.0.0.0:54162 *:* 2444
UDP 0.0.0.0:55162 *:* 2444

=====================
PID Legend:

11936 = pmd.exe
1380 = ovjboss.exe

What is the process with PID 13396?

As you can see from the netstat output of the working server:

netstat -ano |findstr 162

TCP 0.0.0.0:162 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 2756
TCP 127.0.0.1:162 127.0.0.1:65489 ESTABLISHED 2756
TCP 127.0.0.1:65489 127.0.0.1:162 ESTABLISHED 9424
UDP 0.0.0.0:162 *:* 9424
UDP 0.0.0.0:49162 *:* 2460
UDP 0.0.0.0:64162 *:* 2460
UDP 0.0.0.0:65162 *:* 2460
UDP [::]:162 *:* 9424

=====================
PID Legend:

2756 = pmd.exe
9424 = ovjboss.exe

Please check (on the non working server) what process with PID 13396 is listening on port 162.

In all likelihood, it might be the Windows SNMP Service.

If it is, terminate it, stop the associated Service, and change the Service's start-up to Disabled.

Then do an ovstop -v, followed by an ovstart -v, finally followed by a ovstatus -v to check status.

If this also does not help, go to %NNMDataDir%logs/nnm/

Check what were the most recently modified files (sort by date modified), zip them and attach them to the post.

If you do not want to attach server logs, you can try sanitizing them, or open a support case, where the same data can be uploaded to a password protected FTP account.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Smoothuser
Message 8 of 10 (797 Views)

Mohit,

Thanks for pointing that out! After disabling the service listening on UDP 162 and restarting NNM services with 'ovstart -v', I am now able to pull status from nodes and interfaces.

However, the service listening on that port is a Syslog software that is also installed on our servers with this issue. We need that service to stay bound to UDP 162 since we are using it for SNMP traps with the syslog software.

>>I believe that HP NNM is also using UDP 162 for SNMP traps, which we do not need in our implementation of NNM. Is there any way to disable the need for SNMP traps in NNM? Or if it does need to be enabled, can we set the service to use a different port?

Please let me know what you think. I am going to start to look though some NNM documentation to see if I can find how to change the SNMP Trap / UDP 162 settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Dan

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
Smoothuser
Message 9 of 10 (788 Views)

Update:

I've tried a few things but cannot change the port:

>>I changed the ‘E:\HP_NNM_Data\shared\nnm\conf\props\nnmtrapserver.properties’ file, the ‘com.hp.ov.nms.trapd.udpPort=162’ setting to use 163. This did not change the port.

>>I did notice that in the comments of the previous file that the tool ‘nnmtrapconfig.ovpl’ should be used to change configuration, however below is what I received when running the tool.

>where nnmtrapconfig.ovpl
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP BTO Software\bin\nnmtrapconfig.ovpl

>nnmtrapconfig.ovpl -showProp
FAILED: javax.management.InstanceNotFoundException: com.hp.ov.nms.trapd:name=NnmTrapProperties is not registered. --- com.hp.ov.nms.trapd:name=NnmTrapProperties is not registered.

>nnmtrapconfig.ovpl -setProp trapPort 163
FAILED: javax.management.InstanceNotFoundException: com.hp.ov.nms.trapd:name=NnmTrapProperties is not registered. --- com.hp.ov.nms.trapd:name=NnmTrapProperties
is not registered.

Please let me know if you have any insight on the "not registered" errors above.

Thanks!
-Dan

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 10 of 10 (781 Views)

Hello,

Glad we found out the cause.

Now for the exception you are seeing when you attempt trapConfig commands, that is probably because the TrapService did not start.

You may check the boot.log in  the NNMi Log Folder (%NNMDataDir%log/nnm/).

If that is indeed the case, then, just as you did the last time, disable the Syslog App, and make sure NNMi starts off ok.

Confirm status by executing "ovstatus -v", it must show all services started, and running/registered.

After that, try "nnmtrapconfig.ovpl -start".

Then, try executing the showProps command. If that succeeds, use the setProp option, set the port to 163 (or some unused UDP port), and then restart NNMi, to check if UDP 162 got freed for the Syslog App.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation