Monitoring non-snmp devices in NNM 9.1x (264 Views)
Occasional Collector
D_Ehrenheim
Message 1 of 6 (264 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monitoring non-snmp devices in NNM 9.1x

We have seeded several non-snmp devices with NNM 9.1x and we have created a Node Group specifically for those non-snmp devices, however when they show up in the specific node group they show no_status. We are trying to get them to show Green if pingable and Red if not.

1. I used nnmloadseed.ovpl to load a group of devices.

2. Went to Configuration -> Monitoring Configuration -> Node Settings and created a group with lower ordering than the rest that only has Enable Management Address ICMP Polling and Enable ICMP Fault Polling enabled. I have tried checking Enable Interface Fault Polling as well as Poll Interfaces Hosting IP Addresses with no luck. I also included my Node Group that includes the newly seeded devices.

When I go to Inventory -> Node Groups and look at what is in there, I see all of the newly discovered devices and can select a node and go to Actions -> Polling -> Status Poll and get an IP Address Availability ICMP (Ping) Monitoring - 10.160.31.1 | 168 (Responding) and that looks good. The node still shows up as No_Status and when I go to Actions -> Configurations Details -> Monitoring Settings, I get the following message:

Error: no SNMP agent found for the node. If this node has an SNMP agent, please verify that the SNMP community string is correct.

SNMP monitoring is not possible without an SNMP agent on the node. However, there may be ICMP monitoring on the addresses of the node.

I have spoken to HP support and I am still working with them on this, but would like to know if anyone else has been successful at getting a Status on a non-snmp device?

Thanks in advance,

Daryl

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 2 of 6 (237 Views)

Re: Monitoring non-snmp devices in NNM 9.1x

Only if all questions were this easy!

You need to set specific monitoring settings for this node group, namely enabling these two items:

ICMP Fault Monitoring

Enable Management Address Polling     Enable IP Address Fault Polling  

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
D_Ehrenheim
Message 3 of 6 (234 Views)

Unfortunately I have both of those checked and still get a No_Status for the devices in the Node Group. Your reply makes total sense, but may there be something else that I am missing?

Thanks,

Daryl

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 4 of 6 (228 Views)

What are your monitoring settings for the node group Non-SNMP devices ?

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
D_Ehrenheim
Message 5 of 6 (221 Views)

[ Edited ]

I read your question again and realized that I did not answer your question. So here are the default monitoring settings:

Enable Management Address ICMP Polling is enabled

Enable ICMP Fault Polling is enabled and

Enable Interface Fault Polling is enabled.

Everything else is not checked. Please let me know if I am providing you the correct info.

My node group that I am trying to Poll is set with an Ordering of 10 and the next group has a number of 100.

Here are the settings for the Default Non-snmp devices group:

Enable Management Address ICMP Polling is enabled

Enable ICMP Fault Polling is enabled

Enable Interface Fault Polling is enabled as well as

Enable Card Fault Polling and

Poll Interfaces Hosting IP Addresses

Thanks and have a great weekend if I don't hear back from you until Monday. :-)

Daryl

Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
D_Ehrenheim
Message 6 of 6 (199 Views)

So, in working with HP support, they noticed that our JVM max heap size was set to 2048MB (the default) and they suggested that we increase that according to the specs of our server.

I increased the heap size using the table under Help -> System Information, click on the Server tab then click on the configuarable link to display the table of heap sizes for each hardware configuration plus other setup and OS details. Since we have over 24GB of RAM and multi processing power, I set the heap size to Xmx10g and all of the devices that were showing no-status are now all in the green.

Thank you to everyone for your help in solving this.

Daryl

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation