Monitoring Server IP Addresses through ICMP with no SNMP (422 Views)
Advisor
Demitree
Message 1 of 4 (422 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monitoring Server IP Addresses through ICMP with no SNMP

Hi All,

I am having a difficult time finding an answer to a seemingly simple question. (Perhapes I am overthinking things).  I have a list of server ip addresses that I want to monitor up/down status for but I am unable to discover it.  I found that the only way for NNM to discover these servers were to individually add them into the seed lists.  My question is: Is there a way to discover it through an ip range? 

I tried adding a serperate Discovery Rule with a complete IP Range and checkboxing discover Non-SNMP devices as well as enable ping sweep with no luck.

Any help is appreciated,

Demitree

Honored Contributor
David Campeau
Message 2 of 4 (417 Views)

Re: Monitoring Server IP Addresses through ICMP with no SNMP

Hello Demitree,

Yes, you do not have to discover these servers individually (or put them in one by one). One way would be to put all the IP addresses into a list, and issue the command # nnmloadseeds.ovpl -f /tmp/mydiscover.txt

I have found this way to be easiest if you already know the IP addresses you want to monitor.

Advisor
Demitree
Message 3 of 4 (406 Views)

Thanks for the advice David.

Valued Contributor
ARUNPRAKASH
Message 4 of 4 (400 Views)

Hii..

Try with Auto discovery Rules. You can discover all the nodes in a particlar IP Range. If that node has enabled SNMP and the same community string present in NNM Server means, It'll take that as SNMP Device only. Then you can mention ICMP only in monitoring configuration.

If you want to add those ip's by using seed file. just create a text file and that file should contains the following,

<IP Address>       #NameOfTheNode

Don't worry about the exact node name and all. Just mention the name for ur referrence. Because NNM will not take the name what you have entered. It will resolve it by DNS or HOSTS file.

Cheers..!

Arun

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.