Monitoring HP and Dell hardware? (290 Views)
Occasional Visitor
PeteDK
Message 1 of 5 (290 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monitoring HP and Dell hardware?

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I need an advice or two on monitoring Dell and HP hardware.

My company needs to monitor our server hardware (Dell and HP - We have several generation of ProLiant and Poweredge), preferably without the need for installing anything extra on the servers (like Dell OpenManage or HP offline bundle). Hopefully we can get the job done with SNMP traps from ILO and iDrac? We have ESXi installed on the servers with standard vmware images.

We have a lot of HP products available to do the job: HP System Insight Manager, HP Operations, HP Network Node Manager. We need to be able to send hardware alerts to HP Openview attached to the specific CI.

Any ideas on best practise or which HP product is the best one to use?

/Pete

Respected Contributor
mostafa_hassan
Message 2 of 5 (275 Views)

Re: Monitoring HP and Dell hardware?

Hello Pete ,

The Solution which can be used is HP Operation Manager , HP  NNM , HP SIM , for all HP Servers ...for Dell i don't have a clue , but there must be Software like SIM with Dell Hardware Solutions .

First , Make sure that SIM agent is installed on every single Server and configured with SNMP service with the Correct Configuration and trap destination need to be NNM or OM .

Make sure that SIM agent Data Source is SNMP >>>

Second ,

From NNM u have to upload the SIM MIB files which are coming with NNM by default ... after loading the MIB's you need to load the Traps with in these MIB's,

For Test send SNMP TEST Trap , should u recieve it in NNM , u can simulate also the Hardware failure , 

I have done this test Last week and it worked perfectly ..

All the best .
Saying Thanks by hitting Kudos :)

Regards
Mostafa Hassan
HP AIS NNM-NA-OO
CCNA-CCNP-ITIL-VCA-Cloud-VCA DataCenter
Respected Contributor
mostafa_hassan
Message 3 of 5 (274 Views)

Same for OM , but the only change is that u need to enable and apply the Policies of SIM solution within the OM , and it should work as well .

Let me know if you need any help on that .

All the best .

Regards
Mostafa Hassan
HP AIS NNM-NA-OO
Frequent Advisor
tanish
Message 4 of 5 (233 Views)

Dell Hardware can be managed via NNMi

Respected Contributor
mostafa_hassan
Message 5 of 5 (226 Views)

Hello Tanish , 

He is asking for Hardware events to NNM , you can manage the server in NNM for Availability only without anything else !

All the best .

Regards
Mostafa Hassan
HP AIS NNM-NA-OO
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.