Monitor counter using NNM Custom poller (632 Views)
Advisor
marc555
Message 1 of 7 (632 Views)

Monitor counter using NNM Custom poller

Hi,

First best wishes for this new year.

I have a question, is it possible using NNM 9.xx to monitor snmp counter on snm device.

in this case, the counter gives information at a specificc time, but what is interested is not the absolute value but the relative value, I mean the difference between two consecutive values polled.

Is NNM able to do that?

Regards,

Marc

HP Expert
Dave Young
Message 2 of 7 (592 Views)

Re: Monitor counter using NNM Custom poller

Marc,

Yes, by default NNMi's customer poller will collect the "rate of change" if the variable or the expression is made up of any counter type variables.

Sometime we find the MIB definition of a variable is wrong and the type of data is either a "counter" when the variable is declared as an integer or guage, or vice versa.  in this case, with 9.2x it is possible, via the GUI, to "coerce" the variable types to be of a different type in order to collect the data in the way you want to.

I hope this answers your question, and Happy New Year

Dave Y.

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Visitor
Viliam Pucik
Message 3 of 7 (483 Views)

Please, do you know how can I force NNMi 9.24 custom poller to store absolute value for this MIB expression "(ifHCInOctets + ifHCOutOctets)"? Currently it stores just the differences between the measurements in CSV exports.

HP Expert
Dave Young
Message 4 of 7 (472 Views)

Viliam,

By default counter type variables are collected as a rate of change, while Integers, and guauges are stored as the actual values.  Within NNMi it is possible to tell the product that a particular variable while being defined as one type should be treated as another ( coerced ).  You can do this in the Configuration->Mibs->MIB OID Types  view.  find or add the variables in your expression and then set the primitive type to be "INTEGER".  If the variable is defined in a table ( and ifHC**Octets are ) then tick the "is Tabular" box.   The expression should then be calculated using the collected values and not the rate of change.

All the best

Dave Y

HP Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Visitor
Viliam Pucik
Message 5 of 7 (462 Views)

Many thanks Dave for the fast response! :)

It's a pity there is no INTEGER64 data type in SNMP protocol, so I mapped ifHC*Octects from COUNTER64 to just UNSIGNED_INTEGER. Do you know if NNMi will lose numeric precision in this case?

HP Expert
Dave Young
Message 6 of 7 (458 Views)

Viliam,

I believe I looked into this back in 9.1 days and the answer was that all calculations are done in 64 bit values, so I think you should be fine.

All the best

Dave Y

HP Support

Visitor
Viliam Pucik
Message 7 of 7 (455 Views)

You are the man, thanks again Dave!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.