Migrating NNMi windows HA to NNMi Linux HA (236 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 1 of 4 (236 Views)

Migrating NNMi windows HA to NNMi Linux HA

Hi Experts,

we are having a NNMi windows in HA environment, we need to migrate all the data and configuration backup to NNMi linux HA from Windows, is this possible. 

If yes what are the steps I have to follow.

Please help!!

HP Expert
dieter boschung
Message 2 of 4 (199 Views)

Re: Migrating NNMi windows HA to NNMi Linux HA

Hi Abhishek

There is no direct way for such a migration. What you will need to do is:

- make an embedded DB backup of the Windows NNMi RG (while NNMi is up)

- make a note of the config file changes (such as %NNM_SHARED_CONF%\trapFilter.conf ;  disallowedOids.conf etc)

- make a note of the changes done to the properties files (%NNM_PROPS%\*.properties

- create the Linux cluster

- install NNMi (same version and patch level as the Windows systems have)

- create the NNMi HA RG

- install the new licenses (production and non production licenses) as per deployment guide

- restore the embedded DB NNMi backup

- merge changes from the 'windows' files in %NNM_SHARED_CONF% with the Linux system's $NNM_SHARED_CONF *

- merge changes from the 'windows' %NNM_PROPS with the Linux's $NNM_PROPS *

Note: If you plan to keep the same hostname and ip-address, then be very careful with the NNMi certificates, because installing NNMi on a new system will generate new certificates and the restore of the DB from the Windows HA instance will have different certificates for the same name. In that case you would also need to copy the certificates from the Windows systems to the Linux systems, but only after you restore the embedded DB.

* do that on the system where the NNMi RG is up and running to have the nnmdatareplicator.ovpl pick them up so they get put on the other cluster member automatically.

As outlined above, this is not a straight forward task and if you run the migration on a production environment then I would recommend you get in touch with the Professional Services team which can assist you by providing their consulting knowledge.

Kind regards

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 3 of 4 (184 Views)

Hi Dieter,
Thank you very much for this information
Need some detailed understanding.
make an embedded DB backup of the Windows NNMi RG (while NNMi is up) ------ what is the command to take DB backup is it nnmbackup.ovpl

make a note of the config file changes (such as %NNM_SHARED_CONF%\trapFilter.conf ; disallowedOids.conf etc) ----- If I take the backup using nnmconfigexport.ovpl and can I restore this backup to NNMi linux

make a note of the changes done to the properties files (%NNM_PROPS%\*.properties) ----- IF any changes are done, how will I restore from NNMi windows to NNMi linux any specific command

merge changes from the 'windows' files in %NNM_SHARED_CONF% with the Linux system's $NNM_SHARED_CONF *---- can you suggest me the steps, how should I do it

- merge changes from the 'windows' %NNM_PROPS with the Linux's $NNM_PROPS * ---- Please suggest the steps to do the same.

Also let me know is there any document on migration, which I can refer for detailed understanding.

Please advice!
HP Expert
dieter boschung
Message 4 of 4 (176 Views)

Hi Abhishek

- - what is the command to take DB backup is it nnmbackup.ovpl

The command to run an embedded DB backup is: nnmbackupembdb.ovpl ; it will backup the entire content of the NNMi DB into a folder you specify on the command line. The resulting *.pgd file needs to be copied to the lunux system where you would run nnmrestoreembdb.ovpl.

- - If I take the backup using nnmconfigexport.ovpl and can I restore this backup to NNMi linux
nnmconfigexport.ovpl will export the configuration items which are stored in the NNMi DB only, nnmconfigexport.ovpl does not backup any external files such as the disallowedOids.conf etc. The nnmconfigexport.ovpl/nnmconfigimport.ovpl is not required if you backup and restore the embedded DB as all these config items are part of the embedded DB backup.

- - IF any changes are done, how will I restore from NNMi windows to NNMi linux any specific command

The properties files are ascii files, you can edit them with vi and insert your changes. Please pay special attention to the nms-jboss.properties file which will contain system specific values for the Xmx and Xms parameters.

- - merge changes from the 'windows' %NNM_PROPS with the Linux's $NNM_PROPS * ---- Please suggest the steps to do the same.

As said, these are ascii files, use any convenient editor to merge the changes.

-- Also let me know is there any document on migration, which I can refer for detailed understanding.

Best starting point is the NNMi upgrade reference which is available at the HP Support Online portal:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1398346/binary/nnmi_upgrade_reference_9.20.pdf

"Upgrade to a Different NNMi Management Server" is a good chapter to start reading.

If the systems are very similar in CPU and RAM size, then you could opt to run nnmbackup.ovpl and nnmrestore.ovpl to backup and restore the NNMi data

- nnmbackup.ovpl -type online -scope all -target <target dir>

- copy the target dir to the Linux system (where you have NNMi installed with the same patch level) and setup in HA

- nnmrestore.ovpl -source <target dir>

Kind regards

Dieter

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.