Re: HPNNMPerfSPI Finalize action warning (709 Views)
Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 1 of 9 (761 Views)

HPNNMPerfSPI Finalize action warning

Hi Experts,

While installing Perfspi I got the warning message, which show the error as below

Finalize action for package HPNNMPerfSPI 9.20 (HP NNM (ISPI Performance - Network Performance Server) (Enable Automount/Autofs to support NFS access to remote NNM system) was not successful.

Failure running EnableAutofs

You need to retry this step after the installation is complete by running initializeNPS.ovpl

When I run initializeNPS.ovpl It shows

Enable Auto FS on linux--- Failed

Please suggest how to enable it and also want to know how will it impact, as per my understanding file sharing will not happen.

Please help.

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 2 of 9 (741 Views)

Re: HPNNMPerfSPI Finalize action warning

Try manually starting the autofs service and see what happens.

Strictly speaking you don't need autofs, as you could statically mount the NFS volume. But this does indicate something may be broken with your NFS configuration.

If you don't get it working, NPS can't read and consume the metrics files, and as such won't be any use.
CCIE 36708 | @northlandboy | lkhill.com
Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 3 of 9 (733 Views)

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for the info

Manually starting autofs means through initializeNPS.ovpl right, is there any other step if yes please suggest.

when I try starting through initializeNPS.ovpl it gives error failure starting autofs died at /opt/OV/nonOV/perl/a/lib/5.8.8/npslog.pm

I am facing one more issue  Start BI Server: failed

when I try to start it shows error Failed setting single user mode off.

What is the single user mode off and how should I enable it

Please suggest the steps

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 4 of 9 (719 Views)

Abhishek_ wrote:

Manually starting autofs means through initializeNPS.ovpl right, is there any other step if yes please suggest.

No, I mean manually starting the autofs service, outside of anything to do with NPS. Check to see if autofs is set to auto-start (use chkconfig), and start it with "service autofs start". See if it starts up properly, and if it doesn't, look around at your logs to see if you can figure out why.

Then try actually using the autofs service, by running "ls /net/<NNMi_Server_FQDN>/", and see if automount is working properly.

I'm wondering a bit why you're having so many problems with the NPS though - have you double-checked that all pre-requisite packages are installed, all config is OK, no disk space issues, etc?

Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 5 of 9 (709 Views)

Hi Lindsay,

Thanks for your help.

All the pre-requisite packages were installed and now all the services are showing success but report menu is not showing all the menu, I have restarted all NPS services and checked but still the same problem, I have not tried restarting nnmi services probably that will work.

Secondly when I executed the enablement script it did not ask me to provide username and password, but it is mentioned in the iSPI installation document in linux environment.

I dont know what is wrong, can you suggest will it ask for username and password in enablementscript or not for linux environment

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 6 of 9 (705 Views)

I'm not sure which documentation you're referring to - can you please paste the relevant paragraph here?

Frequent Advisor
Abhishek_
Message 7 of 9 (697 Views)

Hi Lindsay,

Document Name: nnm_ispi_Metrics_Linux_Installation_9.20

Page number 18, enabling NPS point number 11.

Honored Contributor
LindsayHill
Message 8 of 9 (673 Views)

Abhishek_ wrote: 

Document Name: nnm_ispi_Metrics_Linux_Installation_9.20

Page number 18, enabling NPS point number 11.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been on leave.

I just took a look at that doc - that looks like a typo. It seems to have come from the Windows installation guide, where you do need to create a new user. If you're using NFS with Linux, you don't need to create a new user, so don't worry about not being asked for a username/password.

Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 9 of 9 (654 Views)

I agree with Lindsay's recommendations.

Could you please give more details about the setup?

From the notes, I think NNMi and Metrics SPI are on separate linux boxes, correct?

If yes, paste the output of "initializeNPS.ovpl", and the output of the "nnmenableperfspi.ovpl" scripts here (please remove FQNDs and other environment specific info when you paste the output here).

Let me break this down in simple terms, so that you will know what will be impacted:

-->NNMi collects stats like InOctets/OutOctets/CPUUtilization/MemUtilization etc from various devices which you have configured for performance polling

-->NNMi will dump all that data in csv gzip files, at /var/opt/OV/shared/perfSpi/datafiles/metric/final/ (on the same NNMi server)

-->because the nnmenableperfspi.ovpl script enables file sharing, the above folder  will be accessible to the Metrics SPI server when you cd to /net/<NNMiFQDN>/ on the Metrics SPI server:

Example output from enablement script:

Install NNM iSPI Performance Server on host NPSHost.domain.com.
Use the iSPI Performance Configuration Utility to:
- set <Path to iSPI Performance datafile folder> to:
/net/NNMHost.Domain.com/var/opt/OV/shared/perfSpi/datafiles

-->Metrics SPI ETL (E for Extract, T for Transform, L for Load) processes will copy over the raw csv gz files from the final folder of NNMi server, and process the data locally on the Metrics SPI server

So when the problem points to failure in enabling file sharing, it is as good as having no reporting at all.

Second, coming to your point that you are not able to see all reporting options, what exactly do you mean, could you substantiate with a screenshot?

Finally, please visit the following link for more info on how to troubleshoot this, and many other Metrics SPI related problems:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1149979

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.