Re: HP NNM SNMP Service (488 Views)
Visitor
Hilmy
Message 1 of 7 (595 Views)

HP NNM SNMP Service

We have an issue with our HP NNM not receiving SNMP traps. Does the NNM require the SNMP Service and SNMP Traps service to be running on the Windows server for it to work properly?

I am not able to find any knowledgebase on whether NNM requires it or not.

Trusted Contributor
trinhdong
Message 2 of 7 (580 Views)

Re: HP NNM SNMP Service

[ Edited ]

Hello Hilmy,

What you need to do is configure SNMP on agents and configure a device to send SNMP traps to the NNMi management server.

Then configure the snmp community on NNMi so that he can communicate with SNMP agent (In NNMi console, navigate to Communication configuration form >> Set the community string)

Kindly notice that port 161 and 162 need to be opening on NNMi management server. If there is any firewall in your network, these ports also need to open on firewall.

Port 161 open for SNMP services.

Port 162  for SNMP traps. 

You can use the wire shark captures the snmp traps/packets incoming & outcoming between the NNMi server and agents to check if anything in your network blocking the snmp traps or not.

Hope this help!

Best Regards,
Dong
HP Support
IF this or any post resolves your issue, Plz be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
To show your appreciation, click KUDOS !!!
Visitor
Hilmy
Message 3 of 7 (566 Views)

Can you provide me a guide on how to configure SNMP on agents so that I can verify that these were done correctly?

I performed a netstat –a on the NNMi server and I noticed that UDP port 161 and 162 are not in Listening state. Could this be an issue?

Also, as mentioned, are the services SNMP Service and SNMP Traps required for NNMi to function properly?

Trusted Contributor
trinhdong
Message 4 of 7 (561 Views)

Hello Hilmy,

If you are saying that port 161, 162 are not in the listening state. So, yes this could be the issue. These ports used for Communication between the NNMi Management Server and SNMP agent, they should be in open state.

You could ask your network team to check it. ( As suggested above, you can use the WireShark to verify the communication issue)

For the second request " How to configure snmp on agen?" --> You should contact with your network team in order to configure SNMP on agents and configure a devices to send SNMP traps. Because it depend on the kind of device vendors, each vendors have its own way to enable SNMP and configure to send SNMP traps.

For example, the following is using on the cisco router:

Use this command in order to enable the Read-only (RO) community string:

Router(config)#snmp-server community public RO
where "public" is the Read-only community string.

Use this command in order to enable the Read-write (RW) community string:

Router(config)#snmp-server community private RW

where "private" is the Read-write community string.

The following example shows how to enable the router to send all traps to the host specified by the name myhost.cisco.com, using the community string defined as public:
 Router(config)# snmp-server enable traps
 Router(config)# snmp-server host myhost.cisco.com public

And the last question: "are the services SNMP Service and SNMP Traps required for NNMi to function properly?"

Answer: You don't need to adjust the SNMP service and SNMP Traps on the NNMi management server (Windows server), both should be in default setting.

Best Regards,
Dong
HP Support
IF this or any post resolves your issue, Plz be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Trusted Contributor
trinhdong
Message 5 of 7 (511 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hilmy,

My pleasure to assist you.

Did my previous response resolve your question? If yes, kindly mark it as acepted Solution so that other member can benefit from it.

If the issue still didn't solve. Kindly let me know the current status then i will more than gald to help you.

Best Regards,
Dong
HP Support
Visitor
Hilmy
Message 6 of 7 (504 Views)

Hi,

We’ve made some progress. Last night, we ran the following command “nnmbackup.ovpl –type online –scope all –force –archive –target D:\HPNNM_backup” to archive the logs/traps. Once this was executed, we began receiving SNMP traps. However, we are still not receiving SNMP traps from some of our devices such as our Cisco IPS.

As such, I’d like to know how to check on what port is the NNM listening for SNMP traps? Please see below HPOM agent integration configuration. 

The screenshot illustrated a port 5162 and destination being the NNM itself.

I’d like to know what that configuration means.

nnm.jpg

Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 7 of 7 (488 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

For a comprehensive set of instructions on what to look for in a situation where you are expecting to see traps, but none being visible, please check:

Title: Why are traps not being displayed in NNMi:

Link: http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00484164

You can see how issues such as yours are investigated by reading this link:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Network-Management-OpenView-NNM/Cannot-see-Ironport-SNMP-Trap-incidents...

Coming to the question in the previous post:

"As such, I’d like to know how to check on what port is the NNM listening for SNMP traps?  "

Execute

"netstat -ano | findstr 162" (on Windows)

OR

" netstat -anp | grep 162" (on Linux)

...look for the entry "UDP    0.0.0.0:162".The PID associated with that netstat entry should be ovjBoss's PID (select the PID column in task manager,or use the ps command in Linux). This is the default port on which NNMi receives SNMP Traps.

Suppose a non default configuration was done (for whatever reason), a simple method is to use the following command:

"nnmtrapconfig.ovpl -showProp | findstr trapPort" (works even without the findstr part, I filtered it just to show relevant info).

Output:

trapPort : 162
trapPort : UDP port on which server listens for traps

Or simply execute "nnmtrapconfig.ovpl -showProp" to see all trap configuration parameters, along with their current values.

Coming to 

"Please see below HPOM agent integration configuration. The screenshot illustrated a port 5162 and destination being the NNM itself."

The screenshot is the NNMi HPOM Integration Form.

One can integrate HP OM with HP NNMi (check the deployment guide on this topic to see the business value in doing this).

In such a situation, the OM Agent is installed on the NNMi server.

The mechanism is as follows (crude explanation):

>>Monitored device (switch/router) sends traps to NNMi Server on UDP 162.

>>NNMi 'listens'/'receives' these traps, processes them, and then, when such an integration is configured, forwards these traps (with additional info) to the OM Agent (which is installed and listening on the same NNMi server, BUT using port UDP 5162).

>>The OM Agent receives this info from NNMi, and then forwards the info to the OM Server (mother ship for this agent).

Such integrations are called NorthBound Integrations, because NNMi receives info, and transmits it 'upwards' (north like the way directions are shown on a map, North South East West) to an entity (in this case the OM Agent).

All this info is mentioned in the NNMi Deployment Guide, and the Admin Guide.

9.21:http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1459500/binary/nnmi_deployment_9.21.pdf

9.21:http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1459483/binary/nnmi_Help_administrators_9.21.zip

I hope the explanation clarified your concerns.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.