False Node down alert (97 Views)
Respected Contributor
Dubey
Message 1 of 6 (97 Views)

False Node down alert

Hi,

I am getting false node down alert since last few weeks.Customer receives the node down alert and check the device using ICMP ping and it is responding.

In some cases client were able to ping the devices from there end ,but I am not able to ping the device from management station it doesn't respond to ICMP.While in some cases it fails the trace route.

Could any budy please help me out ,why I am getting such a false event and also please let me know how can I solve the issue.

Regards,
N.Dubey
Esteemed Contributor
Joe Drigon
Message 2 of 6 (97 Views)

Re: False Node down alert

Well, if people can ping the device and you can't from NNM it really isn't a false alarm. It seems like you are having a routing issue from your NNM server to your network devices. NNM doesn't know it's having a routing problem and when it can't reach the device it alarms.
Respected Contributor
Dubey
Message 3 of 6 (97 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Just one question,in which case NNM consider a node as a down,when not pinging the device.Or when not getting SNMP response.

Also is there is any way to check why there is routing issue with NNM.

Regards,
N.DUbey
Trusted Contributor
Simone Del Pinto
Message 4 of 6 (97 Views)

Hi,

if you are in complex network architecture maybe that NNM doesn't respond to icmp... try treceroute to see where the packet stop.

However NNM put node in down state only when icmp fails to respond and not when snmp service does not respond.

Think about layer 2 network device without snmp...

BR
Simone Del Pinto
I love Forum ITO
Respected Contributor
Dubey
Message 5 of 6 (97 Views)

Hi,

Why i am getting node down alert.

Can I do anything else to solve this issue.

Regards,
Respected Contributor
Dubey
Message 6 of 6 (97 Views)

Hi,

Any imput please.

Regards,
N.Dubey
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.