Email Alerts not working on Secondary Server (268 Views)
Advisor
crwood1
Message 1 of 6 (268 Views)

Email Alerts not working on Secondary Server

Hello,

So I have two node managers that are clustered together, so when one fails the other one picks up. Anyways, so our primary node manager is failed, and has been failed for a little while now (waiting on HP support). The secondary servers has all the scripts and configurations (from what I can tell) as the primary server, but for some reason the email alerts are no longer working.

Is there something I have to turn on for the secondary server so it can send mail out like the primary?

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 2 of 6 (226 Views)

Re: Email Alerts not working on Secondary Server

Is the setup in an OS based cluster (High Availability (HA) Cluster with Windows / RHCS / etc), or is NNMi in App Failover (AF) mode.

In either case, you will find more info on failure/success of an action triggered script/executable in the log named

incidentAction.log in the nnm log folder.

If the setup is in HA, and maintenance mode, there are situations where it could break due to user induced factors. If the setup is in AF, this will be on the secondary server's nnm log folder.

If it is not too inconvenient, you may attach the most recent incidentAction log to this post.

It would also help if you specify the following info when you post on NNMi/Product related topics:
-->software version with patch level

-->database type (embedded/3rd party/oracle...as applicable)

-->software hosts' OS details

-->logs to look into/screenshots/scripts

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Advisor
crwood1
Message 3 of 6 (214 Views)

Hello.

I believe the cluster is setup as HA on Windows Server 2008 R2 Build 6.1.7600 on VMs.

System Information for HP Network Node Manager i Software 9.10,9.11.002

I've attached the incidentActons log that I found.

I'm not sure about the database, for some reason I thought it was oracle... but maybe I'm getting mixed up with another server... I'm guessing it's embedded.

Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 4 of 6 (212 Views)

This is significant:

Command: <SNIPPED>
Command Type: ScriptOrExecutable
Lifecycle state: com.hp.nms.incident.lifecycle.Closed
Exit Code: 1
Standard Output:
Standard Error: '"blat"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

If in HA Cluster, it looks like the secondary Windows Server is unable to map the "blat" (blat.exe) command that NNMi is calling from email.ovpl (assuming default settings).

Your actions folder is on the shared drive, but I don't think blat.exe is. I am guessing that blat.exe is installed separately on both (or more) nodes.

cd to the directory on the shared drive that contains the email.ovpl and simply run it from there with the above parameters. It should fail with the same error

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP.

If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Advisor
crwood1
Message 5 of 6 (210 Views)

How do I determine what/where the shared drive is? Unfortunately, I'm not a server/admin guy, I'm strickly networks, but we have nobody else that takes care of these servers, so I seem to always have to muttle my way through it.

Trusted Contributor
msharma
Message 6 of 6 (199 Views)

Hello,

I had an internal discussion, and the following points could be looked into:

>have you installed and configured blat.exe on the secondary (or other cluster nodes) as well?

>as pointed out, the error is not from NNMi, but from the OS being unable to locate the file, and thus being unable to make sense of the blat.exe command that was passed to it, by NNMi, for execution.

>if you open a command prompt on the secondary server, and try the same command that NNMi attempted, it will give you the same error. This can be easily verified.

>The email.ovpl should be located on the shared drive (like S:\ or D:\ ) that is visible / accessible to both servers. It is on this shared drive where an actions folder should be present containing the email.ovpl that triggers the email action.

>If you have setup the NNMi HA using the nnmhaconfigure.ovpl script, then the actions folder on individual servers is replicated on the cluster's standby node, when it becomes active. From what can be interpreted, this part of the configuration is ok

>the problem is when email.ovpl is calling the blat command (.exe) and the OS is unable to process the command.

If you already have a support case open with us, where the cluster's primary server is being looked into, you could log another case, on this topic, and take this forward. It does require a fair amount of analysis as to where the actual problem is. Regardless on whether we solve it discussing it here, or on a support case, we will post the solution here, so that others may benefit too.

Mohit Sharma,
HP Software Support

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.