E-mail Notifications how do you get them using outlook (1 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Bert J. Vorstenbosch
Message 1 of 6 (1 View)

E-mail Notifications how do you get them using outlook

How do it get Openview to send me an e-mail notification on an event. I found the spot to put the commands but nowhere have i found information on how to get openview to send an e-mail using outlook.
Or is there some other packing that would work better
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Albert E. Whale, CISSP
Message 2 of 6 (1 View)

Re: E-mail Notifications how do you get them using outlook

Bert,

You should probably use the command that is native to your OS.

On Unix you can use either sendmail or mailx.

Since you mention Outlook, it would stand to reason that you are on NT. Although I do not have an NT Server in front of me, I would search the Disk for the Mail Command. If you cannot find one, I am sure that you can find a Freeware version of a SMTP Mail tool which will work quite well for you.

Hope that answers your question.
Sr. Systems Consultant @ ABS Computer Technology, Inc. http://www.abs-comptech.com/aewhale.html & http://www.ancegroup.com
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gareth Nelson
Message 3 of 6 (1 View)

I've got a feeling that if you have an account for outlook setup on the machine then all you need to initiate a mail should be the mailto: command.

So the command would be:

mailto:you@there.com?subject=Help It's dead.....

I don't know the rest i.e. how to add event output in the body text but this should give you something to go on, if it works.
Chin Up!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
William Yager
Message 4 of 6 (1 View)

This works for sure. I implemented it about 2 weeks ago.

Use a freeware tool called "postie" avalable at http://www.infradig.com This is a command line e-mail tool which works well and efficiently.

Remember, any executable called as an alarm action either needs to be in the path or in the OpenViewbin directory. You'll need to put postie.exe there and if you choose to use the config file, postie.txt, that needs to be in that directory as well.

Additional instructions come with the download.

Good Luck.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rick Garland
Message 5 of 6 (1 View)

As an alternative, I setup the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file to have a Smart Host. From there, the UNIX system knows that mail generated to my UNIX account will go to the Smart Host which is forwarded to the Exchange server which routes to my MS Outlook.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Armindo Guilamba
Message 6 of 6 (1 View)

Hi

I am using mapisend from BackOffice Resource Kit.
I have changed ovactiond.lrf to send message with a NT user account.
I am running NNM 6.10 on NT Server and I have used Exchenge Server to send e-mail. Note that mu server doesn't have snmp service running.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation