Re: Change encrypted ovinstallparams.ini db password (388 Views)
Occasional Visitor
jazzyplayar
Message 1 of 7 (456 Views)

Change encrypted ovinstallparams.ini db password

I successfully installed NNMi in silent mode using ovinstallparams.ini but now I'd like to change the db password.  Problem is, I got the original encrypted password by first running the installation manually.  How can I get around this?  Ideally, I'd like to enter a plain-text password in the .ini file and run the silent install.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Arjay 

HP Expert
Walinton
Message 2 of 7 (418 Views)

Re: Change encrypted ovinstallparams.ini db password

Hello Arjay

After the installation finishes, if you want to change the password you can use

nnmchangeembdbpw.ovpl found under <InstallDir>/bin (/opt/OV/bin on UX)

Regards

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Occasional Visitor
jazzyplayar
Message 3 of 7 (405 Views)

Walinton,

Thank you for the reply!  The problem with that is NNMi would have to be previously installed.  I'm trying to take the ovinstallparams.ini file and move it to a different environment without a previous installation and different set of db credentials.

I know the credentials in the new environment but can't figure out the password encryption used so that I could enter it in the .ini file and have the installation work in silent mode.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Arjay

HP Expert
Walinton
Message 4 of 7 (388 Views)

Hello,

So what you need is the encryption algorithm to encrypt a password and put it (if possible) in the silent installation configuration file? Or, configure it in a way that it accepts a plain-text password?

Unfortunately I am not aware of a way of doing either thing!

Regards

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Occasional Visitor
jazzyplayar
Message 5 of 7 (380 Views)

YES!  Either would work for me but the plain-text password would be ideal!

I've been searching high and far but to no avail.  Such a feature would be useful for those of us trying to take advantage of the silent installation.

HP Expert
Walinton
Message 6 of 7 (378 Views)

Hi

Unfortunately the same is not available!

Feel free to submit an ER at http://support.openview.hp.com/enhancement/do/main

Thank you!

HP Support
Occasional Advisor
JamesB_1
Message 7 of 7 (304 Views)

I found myself wanting the same feature that the above user was requesting, namely to be able to set the 'db.user.loginpassword' parameter with an unencrypted password value in the ovinstallparams.ini to be used in unattended installs against preconfigured Oracle database instances.

This thread confirmed my fear that this is currently not possible, but there is a somewhat palatable workaround.

The installation and patching of NNM will still work even if the 'db.user.loginpassword' parameter is set to an invalid value.  NNM won't work correctly after the installation because jboss, etc. cannot connect to the database, but the rest of the installation will still be OK.  You can then stop NNM (ovstop -c), configure the appropriate user/password values for the database using 'nnmchangedbpw.ovpl', and start NNM (ovstart -v).  Once NNM is started with valid login credentials for the database, jboss will configure the database just as it would have done following a 'proper' installation and all of the NNM processes should start.

This workaround is not nearly as nice as being able to just set the darn DB password in the ovinstallparams.ini file, but it will do in a pinch if you need to roll out multiple NNM instances and do not want to perform an initial attended installation to generate a valid encrypted database user password for each deployment.

Regards,

-James

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.