Re: Change Node Names (41 Views)
Advisor
Jens Gottbehuet
Message 1 of 6 (41 Views)

Change Node Names

Hello,

our client have change his name-convention, so we must change all the node names. Is there a possibility to edit the /etc/hosts-file and say NNM to use the new name without rediscover/corrupting the DB?

Thanx
Jens
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Berlene Herren
Message 2 of 6 (41 Views)

Re: Change Node Names

If changing the hostname in NNM:
ovstop
rm $OV_DB/openview/ovwdb/ovserver /var/opt/OV/share/databases/openview/ovwdb/ovserver

cd $OV_CONF /etc/opt/OV/share/conf
edit ovw.auth, ovwdb.auth and ovspmd.auth so that all of the files have the correct hostname.

/etc/opt/OV/share/conf/ovspmd.auth
/etc/opt/OV/share/conf/ovwdb.auth
/etc/opt/OV/share/conf/ovw.auth

xnmsnmpconf -clearC
ovstart

If just changing the ip address:

ovstop
rm $OV_DB/openview/ovwdb/ovserver (this is just a precaution and will hurt nothing because it is recreated)
xnmsnmpconf -clearC

Is this just for managed nodes?

Berlene

http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Rich Propst
Message 3 of 6 (41 Views)

Jens,

The answer is yes. If you simply put the new names in the /etc/hosts file, NNM will automatically pick this up and change the label on the maps the next time is does a configuration poll on the nodes. You can force this to happen quicker by doing a demand poll on the nodes manually. Only one problem I can foresee. If you are using distributed management and you change the names of the collection stations, this may cause some problems.

Rich
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jens Gottbehuet
Message 4 of 6 (41 Views)

Hi Berlene, hi Rich,

they want to change only the managed nodes names, so I mustn't change anything in the auth-files.

I have change one node in the etc/hosts-file and do a demand poll. But the label in the Map is so as before. In the Alarm Browser I see the message that the Hostname for the node was changed. I can see the new hostname also in the Object Properties as the section name, but not in the Map.

Any ideas?

Jens
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Jens Gottbehuet
Message 5 of 6 (41 Views)

Hi,

I think that it was my fault, that NNM doesn't change the labels in the Map, because I run "ipmap -u". Is this a possibility?

Jens
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Rich Propst
Message 6 of 6 (41 Views)

Jens,

You're right. The -u option will prevent the labels from being updated. If you run ipmap without this option, the labels should change.

Rich
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation