Can I configure netmon.lrf to trace icmp polling and replies for only specific devcie? (174 Views)
Occasional Contributor
wowsanta
Message 1 of 3 (174 Views)

Can I configure netmon.lrf to trace icmp polling and replies for only specific devcie?

hello,

One of node is detected as node down via icmp polling. I guess this is not netmon's wrong and network problem.
To verify it, I'd like to trace netmon.  Can I set netmon trace from netmon.lrf for monitoring ICMP related for specific IP address ?

It can be same with netmont -M 3.

Thanks in advance.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
inquinta
Message 2 of 3 (165 Views)

Re: Can I configure netmon.lrf to trace icmp polling and replies for only specific devcie?

Hello,

You can trace netmon to see the ICMP polls and responses. TO do that you need to enable tracing following these steps:

#netmon -M 0x3

Force a poll to the node : #nmdemandpoll <IP of the node>

#netmon -M 0x0

I would suggest you at the same time to enable also some kind of network trace, with a tool like wireshark for windows, snoop for Solaris... to compare netmon trace and network trace.

Hope this helps,

Inma 

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Alok
Message 3 of 3 (160 Views)

Re: Can I configure netmon.lrf to trace icmp polling and replies for only specific devcie?

Hi There,

Here are netmon trace options :

Trace masks specify the type of output to be logged in $OV_LOG/netmon.trace (or in tracefile if it's been changed). To select multiple output types, add the individual trace mask values together and enter that number.

0           Turn off tracing.

1           Trace ICMP Echo requests.

2          Trace ICMP Echo replies and timeouts.

4          Trace SNMP requests.

8           Trace SNMP replies and timeouts.

16         Trace traps generated.

32          Trace traps received.

64         Trace main loop timeouts.

128       Trace filtering activities.

EXAMPLES

These examples show how netmon can be instructed to activate various tracing options and require that a netmon already be running.

To trace ICMP echo replies and timeouts, enter the following command as root/admin:

netmon -M 2

To trace SNMP replies and timeouts, enter:

netmon -M 8

To trace both ICMP Echo (2) and SNMP replies and timeouts (8), enter:

netmon -M 10

You will find trace as $OV_LOG/netmon.trace by default.

Hope it helps.

Alok

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation