Re: Auto-discovery too slow or does not work at all (318 Views)
Occasional Visitor
KalinZ
Message 1 of 8 (393 Views)

Auto-discovery too slow or does not work at all

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am running NNM 9.20 on Windows server. I have set up 3 auto-discovery rules. Each one has 3-4 IP address ranges with 16 or 24 mask. I have also set OID filters, so that only ASA and PIX devices are discovered. "Discover any SNMP device" is active. Ping sweep is enabled and I am relying on it to get all the devices. The devices are with /29 addresses. Discovery and Ping sweep is scheduled to run each hour.

The problem is that the discovery is too slow or does not work at all. I left the NNM for 10 hours last night, and it added only 15 new devices. I can see 1 device added, and another one, in the same /24 subnet, missing. I can add the missing device manually, no problems with that. 

The topology dictates that the discovered devices have no hints for the undiscovered, so it seems ping sweep works (confirmed from the logs), it adds some devices after all. 

Am I missing something? How fast should the devices be populated? 

Thanks,

Kalin

Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 2 of 8 (361 Views)

Re: Auto-discovery too slow or does not work at all

How many ASA's and PIX devices do you have ? most environmnets dont have that many.

Have a nice day :)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Occasional Visitor
KalinZ
Message 3 of 8 (357 Views)

With the currently configured IP ranges there should be around 130 devices that match the filter. The sole purpose of this NNM installation is to watch over the PIX and ASAs. I plan to add more subnets to the rules eventually, increasing the number of matching devices. But i cannot get it to work with the current setup.

Respected Contributor
mostafa_hassan
Message 4 of 8 (356 Views)

i think adding / loading them with seed file would help ,

please consider for the wide ranges link /16 , it will have long time to discover all range subnet , usually discovery occurs every 24 Hours , through Nmap in NNM server ,

for checking nmap u can use this command to check all the devices with in the range .

nmap -v -sP -PE 10.17.0.0/16 >nmapresult.txt &

that would help to track the discovery progress in NNM .

All the best .
Saying Thanks by hitting Kudos :)

Regards
Mostafa Hassan
HP AIS NNM-NA-OO
CCNA-CCNP-ITIL-VCA-Cloud-VCA DataCenter
Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 5 of 8 (343 Views)

[ Edited ]

I agree with Mostafa, seeding your devices would be better. This way you ensure that you  have the interface you want to use to manage them as the interface thats discovered.  As a point solution for a specific technology/function silo, autodiscovery isnt as useful as it would sound.

If you were to use it in a broader context autodiscovery would have more utility such as monitoring the health and operation of everything onm the network for a a facility or data center.  My company uses it for multiple networks and multiple facilities with autodiscovery enabled for networking devices only excluding some older problematic devices by OID (ATM boxes that have a tendancy to roll over and die if you look at them the wrong way)

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Occasional Visitor
KalinZ
Message 6 of 8 (335 Views)

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Seeding the devices is not a problem, I have the full list of them. The environment is dynamic and I need to be sure that when we add/remove devices from the network, this will be seen in NNM. My idea is that if I can polulate the database using auto-discovery, I can rely on auto-discovery for finding the new nodes. 

Furthermore, my customer wants to have their devices populated by auto-discovery. After all this is a function that the software provides and the customer wants to use what he has paid for. I cannot say "well it is configured to work, but it doesnt. Let's do it the other way" :D The idea of this post was to check with you guys whether I have configured everything as it should be. It seems that I have :(

Honored Contributor
AndyKemp
Message 7 of 8 (318 Views)

I dont know what you're considering slow nor have you described the server, OS, and version that you've implemented NNMI on .

I run autodiscovery on three decent sized networks (/8's) on a single instance with a managed multivendor inventory of ~23,000 devices and well over a million interfaces. A complete discovery runs just under 2 days.

Andy Kemp,  CISSP
Respected Contributor
mostafa_hassan
Message 8 of 8 (307 Views)

Make sure of two things when relaying on Auto Discovery ,

* Make the Subnet Lower Range as you can even u create multi Discovery rule for that

* Make sure that the Devices you are discovering are configured correctly with SNMP , and u have added the right OID for the Concerned devices in the Discovery Rule , and it should work .

Make sure for large subnet u have given NNM Time to discover , means that 1 hour is to aggressive for the First discovery for the Wide range :)

All the best .
Saying Thanks by hitting Kudos :)

Regards
Mostafa Hassan
HP AIS NNM-NA-OO
CCNA-CCNP-ITIL-VCA-Cloud-VCA DataCenter
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.